Savage 17 HMR/ Sweet 17

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by onlyone, Mar 17, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Anyone have any problems with Savage 93R17 GV? I am going to get one. Also what about a Sweet 17 scope from BSA optics. Can anyone give me a review on that scope or suggest another scope?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have owned a 22mag Savage mdl 93 for about 4 years . It is a fun gun, shoots vary well, I have had no problems with it

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have that Gun in SS and love it. It will group 5 shots in a 10 cent piece .
    But now as for the BSA scope. Don't waste your $$ I bought one 3 years ago. and its not worth throwing away.
    I payed more for the scope on mine than I gave for the rifle. Its a Nikon Monarch UCC 3x9 its also SS.
    WEll worth the $$.
    Pete

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what was the problem with your scope?i just ordered one last week and would appreciate the info

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mine is the BSA Contender 6x24x40 And its just that good of a scope.
    Now I will say that the newer ones may be better, But this one is junk. It is not a good clear scope.
    Its on a Ruger M77 Mark II 25-06
    And I have had others try it and they did not like it. But one one guy has one of the cat eyes and loves it.
    Good luck with yours and may it always see through and straight.
    Pete

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    im referring to the sweet 17 scope from BSA not to BSA scopes in general can anyone help me out here? if you have a sweet 17 scope let me know cause all i have heard about them is the 1/4 inch moa clicks are too course for this round

7. CaptainJWatts

CaptainJWatts New Member

State:
    Wyoming
    I have a package deal that I bought from Cabela's, its the Savage Arms 93R17 BTVS, with the blued barrel and grey laminate finish. It's this model, but obviously mine looks a little different

http://savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm

Simply put, all .17hmr rifles are only really accurate up to 500 yards... and that could be reaching, depending on the wind and altitude. I am up in Wyoming and with the Standard Pine ridge 3-12x40 tactical scope that came with my gun and I can hit within the size of a 50 cent piece at 300 yards all day long, as long as the wind isn't crazy. I have a friend with the marlin 917VS who has the Nikon monarch UCC 3x9 on his gun, and at 300 yards we both hit almost the same. I would say that he may be slightly more accurate simply because of the 22" heavy barrel, vs the savage's 21". I've even mounted his scope on my gun and had no real change in where I was hitting. Take into account that for the longer ranges we were using the 20gr Hornady VTX rounds, which seem to handle the longer ranges a little better than the 17gr V-max. Bottom line is this.... with these rifles it's more on personal preference, while you can see a little better in bad lighting with the Nikon, the pine ridge works just fine and it won't cost you. These are mid-range varmint killers, you don't need anything flashy for them, they will always shoot true, but if your trying to peg a prairie dog from a longer distance....... get a different rifle.

8. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I had this exact setup and the rifle is great but the scope was junk. It would shoot great for a while and all of a sudden would lose zero. No bumping or banging around whatsoever it would just lose zero. Maybe just my bad luck in this case, but in my expeience with scopes you get what you pay for..

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    Get a MUELLER APV!!!!!!

they are a TOP NOTCH scope for a GREAT PRICE I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!!!!

WAY better then the BSA... THEY ARE CLEAR AS CRYSTAL and for around 140bucks for a silver one.... they are priced JUST RIGHT!!!!!!!

great scope for a great GUN!!!!!!!!

10. bigred

bigred New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey i have the same gun and it is a good shooting gun. but i put the pineridge scope on it from cabelas i have not really had the time to get it dead perfect but it is very nice. it is the 3 x12 x40.

11. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think the rifle will be just fine. I have read several reports on this model and all seem pretty sound. As for optics, that is a whole other ball of wax. If you have some local gun shops available,(and most do) it would be wise to talk to the sales people or owner as many are very educated as to the products they carry. Most good sales folks will be happy to take the time to show you different models in your price range and advise you as to the differences in each one. They will also allow you to see the view that each presents. If you lack experience with optics do not fall into the mail order items as many times you don't really get a bargin. Good luck be safe and have fun!