Savage 10x .223

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Ed Lacy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    Anybody have a chance to use the Savage Predator 10x or 10XP? Think that might just what I'm needing for coyotes.
    22-250 looks good, but, the 223 would be a lot easier to get brass for.
    I think the scope is a Burris 3x9x40, would rather have a Leupold 4x12x40.
    Any opinions?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ed ,They are nice looking guns,However ,if I could have chosen between a 223 and a 22-250 when I was purchasing a varmint rifle I think I would have gone with the 22-250 ,Theres a much greater selection of bullets and loads ,making this a very versatile round ,and it packs a bigger punch downrange too. But I ,as you know am a big fan of the 223 and one of the biggest reasons is the availibility of brass. When I started reloading for mine some 28 years ago you could get military brass for pennies each .Which ever caliber you choose ,spend lots of intimate time with it at the range ,thats what splits the hairs between ordinary and top notch shooters.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I agree with Richard. The 22-250 would be my first choice. I am a big fan of the 223 also but it can't do as much as the 22-250.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id go with the 22-250 as well.Im not a big fan of the 223 myself but everyone has a different favorite.