sausage stuffers for all your home butchers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have been lucky this year i got 2 deer this year and made some outstanding sausage, I've been looking for a new sausage stuffer, the one i have now is way too big it holds almost 5gals of the stuff, So, I have been looking around for some smaller ones and found a great deal at northern tool, some outstanding prices. I got a small 3lb press for 24 bucks. and they have a larger one for 79 bucks. it will handle 5 lbs and has a removable cylinder, I will be getting that later. Now all i need to do is find some local places who handle all the other stuff like castings and spices. I was told that santa is bring me a new smoke house that can handle 100lbs of meat or fish, o boy can't wait till xmass.

For all you home butchers you need to check out there web site, they have some great prices on there home butcher supplies, a meat band saw for 180$ as well as other goodies.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeff, for the casings and spices, just ask your local butcher...if you have a full service meat cutter at a store near you. We sell them all the time, but we also make sausage, and brats, and all that. Not all stores do anymore. The spices we use are Legg's Old Plantation. It's gooood stuff. Google search it, and I bet you can find it. I would do it for ya, but I'm watching the Mo. vs. Ok game. Go MU!!!!!

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Boy you must of been one good boy thus far.....SANTA sure likes you.....All I am getting is some teeth out but thats ok I have been bad:wink:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Northern tools or harbor freight are two stores men such as I are not allowed in if you ever get togoto a harbor freight you will see what I am talking about.The one in Springfield Ill. is the bomb:after_boom: Check harbor freight for your saws etc to prices may be better,check the quality too

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have wondered how good the butcher stuff was at Northern,Jeff. I buy a few things from them every year and thier stuff seems fair Quality.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's the link to Legg's. I noticed that there is a minimum order of 40 cases :crazy:!!! Check it out though. Check your stores to see if you can get some there. If not, and you want to try some (all of it is awesome), I can mail you some. We have sausage, bratwurst, italian sausage, polish sausage, and chorizo. I would be willing to donate 1 bag=enough to season 25# of meat.

Casings usually come in a 5# bucket. I don't know where to get them other than a grocery store, or meat locker. They could sell a smaller quantity. I can't help ya there because they need to be refrigerated, but they shouldn't be difficult to obtain.

http://www.aclegg.com/plant.htm

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not sure if the link is correct but "Sausagemaker.com" also sells everything one needs to make summer sausage, brats and all that other good stuff. My dad and brother have ordered alot of spice and casings and swear by the place.

8. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I suggest that you google 'the sausage maker', a guy in New York state that actually wrote the book on sausage and meet curing. He sells a five pound capacity sausage stuffer that will fit the bill.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    LEM products sells alot of spices and casings. They even sell kits for whatever you want to make.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    took the words right from my mouth. l.e.m. is great. they ship my stuff in just a few days and ive used the summer sausage kits whole leg ham kits and high heat cheese chunks in my brats. they all tasted great.

northern tool is where i got some of my logsplitter parts incluing the carbon steel wedge.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I get them by the box from a local company, Dinner Bell, that butchers cattle in Lynchburg, Va. When I worked for a chicken plant a few years back, we made about 600-800 pounds of summer sausage a year. We had access to all the big Hobart processing equipment in the H&D section of the plant because the USDA inspector was my hunting partner. Pretty sweet!

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Its always nice to have friends in low places huh?