Sausage Seasoning Recipes, anyone have one?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Cattledogz, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    While I have tons of recipes for both domestic and wild game sausage making they all call for seasoning mixes.

Commercial mixes are often very good but contain very unhealthy amounts of sodium and other things I cannot have, such as soy lecithin, wheat of any type, etc. And most are too spicy (hot) for my taste.

So, I am looking for any recipes for making your own sausage seasonings from scratch.

Breakfast, garlic, etc. I use mostly pork and or venison for my sausage. I am thinking of making some out of turkey and/or chicken this winter.

The one I do make from scratch is true Polish sausage, not the smoked type commonly found in grocery stores but the type actually made by the Polish people. Some call it Polish Wedding sausage. GOOOOOOOOD stuff! LOL

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Barb

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When I get home in Dec, I will look for my sausage recipies, I have about 20-30 different ones my Mom left me, she was always making it when I grew up. I have recipies for summer sausage and regular sausage, I also have one for blood sausage, but dont recommend that for anyone....ha ha....

I will post them for those who want them.

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I do alot of pork and usually just season to taste. Salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Never really had a down pat by the book recipe for it.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    7 lbs ground venison
    5 lbs ground pork
    hot water
    2 T salt
    2 T black pepper
    1/2 t red pepper
    1/4 t cinnamon
    1/2 C honey

Mix togather ground venison and pork. Mix in a little hot water if the meat seems dry. Add the spices and honey and grind through a coarse disc. make into 4" x1/2" thick patties. Package and freeze immediatly ,orstore in fridge for up to three days.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    1/2 t caraway seed
    1 1/2 lbs venison ,cubed
    1 lb lean pork but, cubed
    1/2 lb pork fat ,cubed
    1 t white pepper
    1/4 t ground allspice
    1/2 t ground marjoram
    1 t salt
    32mm-34mm hog casings

Roll the caraway seeds flat with a heavy rolling pin and set aside.Mix togather the meats and grind once through a fine disc. Mix togather the caraway seeds,and other spices into the ground meat.Stuff into casings,twist off, and tie into 6" to 8" lengths. Store in fridge for up to three days or pkg and freeze. To cook fry in butter ,or dip in milk and broil or grill.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Barb I put up a post asking for sausage recipes too.:eek:oooh:

Look at my post you may find one in there to your liking.

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Kevin. I am looking specifically for the seasonings/seasoning mixture. I have the meat/fat ratios and kinds down pat and do both patty and stuffed casing sausages. I am just trying to get away from the commercially prepared seasonings. :wink:

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Richard, thanks for the recipes, both sound good and I will give them a try!

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I am guessing that would be Kishka ... Had to eat that when growing up. At least that was not as bad as the "Czarnina" (Polish Duck Blood Soup) LOL

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Barb some of the recipes on my post are from scratch and not a mix.