Saugeye

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by TimberTalker, Feb 16, 2006.

1. TimberTalker

TimberTalker New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    There is a lake in northeast Ark not far from my house that is suppose to have a good population of saugeye in it. We usually crappie fish it throughout the spring but catch one very seldomly. I was just wondering if there is a certain time of year to target saugeye or what approach to take to catching them as far as bait, depth, etc. I am clueless so any advice would help.

2. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I met a guy a few months back who seemed to know a lot about Saurgeye. The was the proprieter at Charley's Hidden Harbor, Morrilton, AR, 501-354-8080. Maybe he can help

3. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I`d like to catch some of them too. My grandfather used to go every year to Pickwick Dam on Tn. river. He said they were the best fish he ever ate. I don`t know how or when to catch em though, seems like they were cold weather fish? I`m in NW Ar. I would drive over to catch some!!

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I am in North East Arkansas, what is the lake

5. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    What is a SAUGER?

Is it a mix between walleye and some other fish like pike or pickrel, or is it a walleye you guys call a saugeye?

Looks an awful lot like a walleye to me.

Sorry,just trying to figurew this one out,i was under impresswion a walleye and saugeye were the same fish with diff names then was told its part walleye and part sum other fish.
    I'm curious to know

6. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    A saugeye is a cross between a walleye and a sauger.

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Crown Lake at Horseshoe Bend has a good population. I've caught several over the years while bass fishing. In that lake they seem to like anything (soft plastic) red. Good eating fish and a good fighter. The lake is also full of cats. We use to go up in the afternoon and bass fish/saugeye fish until dark then set up and fish cats into the night. Best night we had was a stringer that weighed 56 pounds. Caught on Turkey liver. Tight lining. Fish usually average about 3lbs.

8. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Oh, my mistake. My grandfather was after sauger.

9. TimberTalker

TimberTalker New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Lake Frierson Its not a very big lake and the water is usually pretty muddy

10. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    If they are like walleye,they start migrating to their spawning grounds when water temps hit 44-46-48 degrees,look for pea gravel,rocks about the size of bowling balls.They like to get up in there and lay the egss in them rocks and gravel.That is prime habitat fer walleye.
    Wingdams would be a good spot to check out,don't overlook right above the wingdam,the current digs in bvefore it goes over and washes out a nice ledge that is another good location.

Walleye like shallow water 4-8 feet so any shallow water with holes about that depth will be good to try.Most likely they'll be right on the edge of the current and slack water.

Feeder creeks are good spots to check too,they will stop along there on their way to spawn.I like to anchor just above a wing dam or hole,cast out at 90 degrees and let the current bring the bait down and slowly present it to em.