Saugeye / Sauger question

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by Catwagon, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Hi folks,

I've never fished for saugeye or sauger before and I have a question for you.

I fish the Kentucky lake section of the Tennessee river and lots of guys here fish for these critters. Normally they fish areas where tributaries like the Duck river meet the TN river because of the slightly warmer inflow. My question is this, could the same be done sucessfully at the steam discharge plant up at new Johnsonville? Do they even like steam plants?

I'm not too wild about sitting way out in the middle of the TN river in cold rough water. Fishing at the steam plant would make it more pleasant if I could expect to find saugeye and sauger there instead.

Any other helpful hints? I'm all ears.

Steve

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    They catch a few sauger at the steam plant at Cumberland City. I was told they usually catch them on the back side of the spillway wall in the corners. I have never fished for them there though.

Sauger start moving and congregating for the spawn near mouths of creeks and bays and below dams when the water temp drops into the 50's, so I wouldn't think they would be attracted much to areas with warm water discharge, but I guess if the food is there then they will follow.

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    If there is any rip rap or wing dams that would be a good place to start. We use long crappie rods to walk jigs tipped with minnows, troll the rip rap working from the bank out to 10' or so. We usually work the back side of wing dams where the sand has been deposited from high water flowing over the top. Hope this helps a little! Good Luck! :D

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They like deep water here at pickwick. Now we are catching them in 35 t0 40Ft of water. I use a sauger jig 1 oz jig with a stinger hook Tip it with a monnow. And drift with the jig straight under the boat.
    You jerk up on the bait. Let it fall back on a tight line to the bottom. Most strikes are like a wet towel or leaf.
    Then other times they like it aobut 1 ft off bottom and not pumping the rod. Also the strike will be felt better this way.
    They do love creek and river mouths where they run into the rivers.
    Also they like cold water. And clouds there eyes are large and gather light way to well. So clouds or clouds and waves are best.

I would say where the cold water is hitting the warm should be a good place there for sauger. Or like I tell people find a deep water place where you catch lots of eating size catfish in the spring and fall That is where the sauger like. Deep water with a slow taper into a flat..

Pete

5. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i got one question i have never fished for or seen firsthand a sauger or saugeye.my question is what is the difference between the and why are they always mentioned together?

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    saugeye is a hybrid cross between a sauger and a walleye.

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    thanx for clearing that up.....

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here is what sauger look like.
    PEte

Attached Files:

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    how good do they taste???? :glare:

10. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Big Country, From every report I've heard so far, there's no finer tasting fish that swims.

Guys, thank you very much for the input you've all given. I truly appreciate it and the first time I catch one or more I'll post the pics here as a sincere "thank you" for your time helping me.

Steve

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    A lite sweet taste. Nothing better. Everyone that has eat them when I cook them love the way they taste.
    They have the Y bone down the middle you have to cut out. But sure are great eating.
    I Hope to catch a bunch tomorrow.
    Pete

12. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    They are definitely a great tasting fish. Me and a couple buddies of mine caught some walleye, sauger and saugeye a couple months ago and had a little fish fry afterwards. Side by side comparison, walleye tasted a little better but the sauger and saugeye were also excellent!