Sauger

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by beaneye46, Feb 1, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    has anyone been having any luck catching sauger on the rivers.
    i fish the wabash and theres no damn. any advice

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    here in southwesten ohio my buddies have been catching the saugers just below the dams, check out any dams in the area

3. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    sharpsville/kokomo Indiana
    caught them at the dam at missenewa on minnows around spring they are in there tho were the spillway is

4. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    If You Have Access To A Boat Go Up Into The Tippy Wear It Runs Into The Wabash. If The Water Is High Enough Go Up To The Oakdale Damn And Try It. There Are Lots Of Walleye And Sauger Up There, And Are Caught On A Variety Of Baits From Minnows To Lures. I Actually Live On The Tippy And I Catch Them Regularly On Shad Raps. Good Luck Let Us Know How You Do.

5. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i just read about some of the fish advisories on the dnr website, and saugers carry one the highest ratings as far as being full of contaminates. they were right up there with carp.

6. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi guys,

I recently moved to Lafayette, and I plan on getting out and doing some fishing on area rivers. I have a 14 ft. jon boat with a 20 HP outboard. How much trouble am I going to have boating the Wabash around Lafayette? Also, I've scouted the Tippy quite a bit, and it looks like a great place to fish. However, it's relatively shallow, with lots of boulders and rocks. Yet, there are people with boats on the river. How much trouble would a 20 HP get into on this river? What stretches would be the most navigable? Any help you guys could provide would be great!

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have only boated below oakdale dam. father in law lives on the river so he knows it good. it looked pretty hairy to me at normal pool though. i know i wouldnt take my big boat on it unless she was high! the bash looks the the same but i havent floated it that far down. these rivers are shallow and rocky so if you go go slow and keep the motor up! flathead20000 is rite about the walleye at the dam have had some great days there. you should see about getting a key to the club (sry dont have a name for ya), that side is better in my opinion. there is a boat ramp just below the dam at the bridge you mite use too. good luck to you and ill see ya on the water bro.

8. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    RiverScum,

Thanks for the information buddy. I'll probably give those places a try when it warms up. Best of luck to you. Tight lines, and see you on the water.

9. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I Live On The Tippy And It Can Be Pretty Hairy At Times. I Try To Stay Within A Half Mile Or So From My House Under Normal Conditions, But When The River Is Up I'll Run All The Way From The Dam To The Wabash. If It Is High Try Launching At River Junction And Go Up The Tippy. Theres Some Good Water There. Keep Your Eyes Open For The Eagle, The Nest Is Just Up There As Well.

10. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Flathead,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I've noticed when the water is low on the Tippy there are large boulders all over the place in the stream. Near the Route 18 bridge, I'm pretty sure I could have walked across it last fall. When the water is up, I may give it a try below Oakdale Dam, or try running up it from the mouth at the Wabash. What size of motor do you run? Just curious. Thanks again, and tight lines.

11. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I run a 14ft flatbottom with an 18hp motor. Does great for me. One more thing if the water level is low you can still lunch at the dam itself. They have really nice public access that is free right down from the dam. Good Luck!!