Sauger Time Yet?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Nov 4, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Has anybody caught, seen anyone catch, or heard of anyone catching sauger yet? Monday I saw a fellow fishing for them on the Clinch, but he wasn't having any luck that day. He showed me a picture on his cell phone camera of four keepers he got there last week. He caught them on medium sized shiners bumping the bottom with a floating jighead.

2. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    Only caught a few on the Ohio River here in Henderson, Ky at J.T. Myers dam since Oct 1st. I guide for them on the river and with these cool night's and water temp's creeping toward that 55 deg mark (when they usually turn on) it's fixin' to happen. Next week will be the week I'll start really getting after them 11/9-11/14. The peak here is the last two weeks in Nov and first week of Dec.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Last time I went a few weeks ago they were tearing them up on live minnows.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Les, where did you go?

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    At that creek that Tnjugger told us about..The name escapes me...I went over there to check it out and they had 2 guys there wearing them out..
    Oh yeah I remember its Cedar Creek..Its not far from my house right here in Lebanon..I think it closes though in November sometime..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One of us will have to ask him soon because I would like to know roundabout where its at.

7. festus

festus New Member

I got a few last Feb. and March on crappie jigs. Wasn't really fishing for them intentionally, but I sure was glad to see they're still in the Clinch since the Kingston Steam Plant fly ash disaster. I like their little cousin, the yellow perch. That's some of the prettiest meat there is on a freshwater fish, very little waste, few bones. They don't grow very big in Tennessee, but I sure put em on the stringer if they're big enough to get a couple of fish stick sized fillets from them.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    They been biting pretty good at locks an dam up at Greenup Ky. festus .On jigs tipped with white and charetruse curley tail grubs.

9. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    AJ that is little Cedar Creek that Les is talking about, Nov. 5 is close date.:0a22:

10. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I caught a little bitty one in a castnet at the OH dam 2 weekends ago. So they are there.

11. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    You talking about right above 231 bridge.

12. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Yes thats the place, turn right before you get to the bridge. Follow the road to the white church that is on the right, turn left and the road ends at the creek.

13. festus

festus New Member

I finally got a sauger today at Melton Hill Dam on a 3" shad minnow. It was barely a keeper, only 17" long, but at least it's a start. And I also received a tip a few minutes ago about a hot spot on Fort Loudoun Lake. I also talked to some sauger fishermen today in boats drift fishing for sauger, but didn't ask it they'd caught any yet. It's getting near that time!! :big_smile: