Sauger/Saugeye

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Why is it that Sauger/Saugeye along with some walleye stack up at the locks and dams in the colder months, but in the summer they are spread out more. what about the locks and dams make them stack up like that. im trying to understand so that i can maybe find some other places less fished to find some of these illusive little buggers.

2. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Maybe its got to do with the water temp. You know wene the water temp. is rite some types of fish go up river to spawn. Well wene the water temp. drop those fish move back down river. If there is a dam there or a big rock shaol thats as far as they can go. Kinda like you see on tv, the salmon run.. We don't have any of those fish down here, but that is just a thought. Just think ever lake use to be a river. I think all fish know that..

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I figure Wesley is about right, if not right on. When water is warmer they head for deeper/cooler water.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    They move upstream to breed and run into a dam or (as in the case of one of my fav holes) a waterfall and stack up there.
    Often they will "stage" at the mouths of tributaries before moving up.

That's where I tried to find them Sunday, but the water was just too high (up 6 foot) and too colored for jigs and they were not interested in nighcrawlers. (the one lone mud puppy was! Technically I didn't get skunked :wink: )

I did see a couple three break water. Just teasing me I reckon. I only had a couple hours to play so I did not make the drive for minnows,, I will next time.

5. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    here in mo. the walleye & sauger start to move up river in the fall because of rains. they both like moving water walleye don't like real fast water.if the water starts to cool down they will get into winter mood and stay in deep holes.walleye & sauger spawn at 43 to 46 degrees,they are some a the first fish to spawn.sauger like faster water than walleye ,sauger are usally 10ft deeper than walleye in a lake. rivers have moving water which will conostrate fish below dams,at the mouth of small rivers and creeks that joins the main river.if the water temp is below 60 degrees tip your jig with a minnow 2 to 6 in long the fish will tell you what they want.

6. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thier there because the bait fish are there. deep rocky maybe :)