Sauger on the Cumberland River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Michael, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Sauger? YET? Went out last Wednesday on the Cumberland river here in Clarksville and caught 5 and went out again today 12-27-06 and caught 6 they are starting to pick up really well. I stopped by "Dons Bait & Tackle Shack" And he turned me onto some jigs. And i can say they work.
    I have never caught a Sauger before until last week and now I'm hooked and they are very good eating.. anyone have any luck on the Sauger yet?
    here are a few pics of the 19in and 18in that was caught today..

Attached Files:

2. Puddycat

Puddycat New Member

State:
    Clarksville,TN
    Great catches Michael.

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    That's really awesome. I've had the pleasure of fishing the Cumberland for sauger with Jim Duckworth. Not sure if you've heard of him, but he's appeared in bassmaster magazines quite a bit! We caught em all around that size last December in 40-45 feet of water. I think we put in at the ramp right out of Rome, TN, and went upriver till we got to a hole which ran about 100 yards or so. 1 oz. jigs with big jig bodies and a treble hook attached the main hook to improve hookup ratios. Needless to say, when the sauger still weren't biting, we got em right up in the stomach with the trebles! :cool2: Good luck!

4. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Looks like you got what you went for.
    congrats

5. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    nice catch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Nice fish. I hear they are great for eating. I went to the TN river at Cuba Landing today. The Sauger fisherman were catching them. They were stacked up about 8 boats deep. I watched them and tried my hand at it but had no luck. Frankly, I don't have any idea what bait or rig to use for them. I'll be researching it on the web tonight.

7. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Craig if maybe this will help you out on what to use here is a pic of what i use.

this is one of the colors i use and i found theses jigs at the bait and tackle shack on river side Dr here in clarksville the guy in there makes them.
    but anyways i take that jig and hook a large minnow under the mouth of the minnow between his lip and eyes and pull the hook thru the head and the i take that stinger hook on the back and stick it close to the tail.
    and then drop it down till you hit bottom and tap it up and down while you troll around with the trolling motor and wham!! but alot of times the hits are far and beyond so just have Patience and you get one ...
    you'll think your hung up on the bottom then you'll fell it fighting.
    i fish at the opening of creeks meeting the river right at the drop point in about 35 to 40 ft.. hope this helps .
    ohh yeah make sure they are all at least 15 inch thats the tn law here.. an we are only aloowed 10 per day
    good luck

Attached Files:

8. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice fish! Mmmm, Mmmm good!
    Sauger have been slow around Chattanooga. I heard a report that they've picked up a little in the last week or so, but I haven't been able to go yet.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Lip Smackin GOOD!Wish I diden't have to work today,I think I just caught th Sauger Bug.Had it a copple of times last year it was BAD.LOL.Thanks Michael.J.D.:hungry:

10. macfish4353

macfish4353 New Member

State:
    ohio
    betterr than here on the ohio

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I'm like you John, getting about time to troll some shad raps around. We have Walleyes on the lake here but the Saugers taste just as good. Nice catch Michael...