Saturday

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by joshdd, Jan 8, 2010.

1. joshdd

joshdd New Member

State:
    Fairfax VA
    Hi guys,
    I've been reading this board the past few months but this is my first time positing. This forum is a fantastic resource. I'm historically a bass fisherman but have just recently been getting into catfishing. Me and a buddy are coming down to try the James out of Deep Bottom on Saturday and hopefully get into some of those big cats we have been seeing posted here. I see there is a tourney going on in that area as well.

...Anyways I really hate to be a beggar... but if anyone pulls in too much bait when they dip their net and will be fishing up in the deep bottom area, and feels like dontating some to a couple non-tournament anglers it would be GREATY appriciated. I have a gill net on order but it does not look like it will arrive on time. I also have a small cast net, but we did not have much luck with that the one other trip we went to the James. We will be in a 14' camo jon boat. We're not asking anyone to go out of their way (especially during a tournment), but if things worked out it would really help us.

Just out of curiousity, what size livewell do you guys use for tournaments? I would imagine they would have to be huge. Is that something you have to manufacture yourself?

Good luck to everyone out there tomorrow!

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Josh,
    First off, welcome to the board. Secondly, please be very careful out there in that 14' Jon boat...the water can get really rough in a heartbeat and a Jon boat is not known for its rough water handling abilities. These cold water temps are nothing to mess with...just be careful and don't press anything.

Since you're just getting into catfishing and you live in Fairfax, don't forget that you have the Potomac right down the road from you. There are lots of quality fish in there...while we don't have the numbers of 70 lb plus fish, they're growing and a 50 lber in not an unrealistic goal there...truckloads of 20, 30 and 40 lbers. Shoot me a P.M. if you're interested and I'll try to head you in the right direction.

Take care and I hope you guys land a toad.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the USCA Josh.

4. bigcattracker

bigcattracker Member

State:
    virginia
    Welcome. You asked about the livewell I made one from a big rubbermaid tub it works ok but could be a little wider. I rigged up a water line from the existing livewell in my boat with a t valve to fill it up and have a aerator to oxygenate the water and a bilge pump mounted to the bottom to pump water out to keep the water fresh. No one wants to see a dead fish plus if it doesn't swim away it don't count. Good luck to u on sat. Looks like its going to be windy. I have to work so I won't be there.

5. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

Bluebruiser@Jmestwn New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fin n skin...They sell frozen shad,also sports stop is a gas station /tackle n bait shop,they sell live eels/frozen menhaden ,sports stop is on 60 in providence forge.. fin n skin i think is in Varina..You know...if all else fails. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. joshdd

joshdd New Member

State:
    Fairfax VA
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Bomberman: We will definitely heed your advice. We plan on staying upstream of Shirley plantation where the water is smaller. If things start getting rough we will be heading back to the ramp. Also, a PM from me is on the way. I was actually planning on asking about the Potomac and you seem to have it pretty dialed in.

Bluebruiser: Thanks for the tip. We will stop by Fin n Skin on the way to the ramp. That will be a great backup plan.

7. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Josh,
    look for SHAD ON THE EDGES OF THE DROPOFFS in 12-22 feet of water near the big flats, the smaller bait we found last week were shallower. We got them with a cast net around deep bottom. You have to be dead on the edge of the hill. You can see em on the screen of the fishfinder. Our first year there we stole shad from the herons. Use large hunks of beef liver the size of your hand if you have no shad. Be careful out there and good luck.

8. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the BOC Josh.. Good luck and be careful.

9. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I use a 70 gal stock tank (just because that is all that I can fit into my 17.5 ft sea chaser). Most guys use at least a 100 gal stock tank modified with a aeration system. The fishing today was not good but was not bad.
    Welcome to USCA and hope you guys caught some good quality fish.
    Tight lines and screaming drags.

10. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Welcome and same here Josh anything you need just Pm me