Saturday Trip with stlcatman

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BajaCoop, Nov 4, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    First off big thanks to Ryan for letting me ride along. I had a great time and really appreciate it.

Now to the fun stuff.

We put in at Flamm around 1:30 had some bait and pretty torn up net by 2:30. We got to the first hole and Ryan had a fish in the boat a little after 3(the fatest 12lber I have ever seen) Shortly after that I boated a 5 lber. While fishing this hole Ryan did his impression of a seamstress and repaired the torn net so we could get bait for the rest of the night. After filling up on bait we fished another 4-5 spots pulling at least one fish from each.

I will let Ryan fill in details on the conditions we fished.

Total for the night:

Ryan:
    two 12 lbers
    one 17 lber
    one 22 lber

Ed:
    two 5 lbers
    one 15 lber
    one 17 lber(a new PB by 3 lbs)

and about a 5 lb shovelnose sturgeon that I never even saw hit but was just on my line when we had called it quits and were cranking up to go home.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ngwithED-2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ngwithED-8.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ngwithED-9.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ngwithED-7.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ngwithED-5.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ngwithED-4.jpg

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Congratulations on a fine day on the water Ed. Thanks for sharing the story. Kudos to you and Ryan. Great Job!

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ed,
    Looks like you guys had a great time, lots of nice Blues. Thanks for the photos. Your sturgen looks like a Whip Tail Sturgen, I like catching them they swim and fight like a shark. Its been a while since I have cought any, Havent cought any since I quit using nite crawlers. Thanks for sharing.
    Retired Olddriller (Paul)

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Congrats on a new PB Ed, it was a pleasure having you on the boat. Ed knows how to catch fish! As far as the conditions go: the barge traffic was rediculous we had a lot of trouble getting the anchor to hold. The bite was good, they were actively taking baits and taking them hard. Some of these fish had me convinced they were a lot bigger than what they were. That 22 lber just tore my rod down and started stripping drag. We found the fish near the deeper holes on shelves in the day at around 24 ft. When it got dark they started moving and we found them in all sorts of depths. If you are headed out and have a good anchor; the larger fish seem to be holding above the wing dikes right now. If you can find one with a straight line current and some up and downs on it, there will most likely be fish there. We just couldnt get the anchor to hold to fish for them. It was a productive night we landed everything we hooked and had a few light bites that didnt produce fish but I personally had a great time. Ed thanks for driving up here and going with me.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Sounds to me like all that time on the water is really starting to pay off Ryan. Reps to you for taking Ed out and showing him a good time fishing.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I tried to REP you also big Ryan, but its still tellin me to spread the love. So I tried throw'n some at Willie, n Kutter, n Mike, n Rat, etc etc. NO body wants Cuz's love. I'm beginning to wonder if my love machine is broke. :embarassed: Lets not go there. :smile2: Anyhow, REPS to ya Ryan. Nice work you guys.

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I feel your pain Cuz, it told me to spread the love around as well....So, I gave some out to Ed and then went back, but still no love for Ryan.:sad2:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Poor Ryan. LMAO:wink:

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's funny, I got the same response! poor little fella! LMAO!!!

Good job you guys! Sounds like one heck of a night, wish I could have been out there with ya! I do see some fishing in for me in the near future for me, namely this up coming weekend!!

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Well i hope you have a good trip.

I am going to be deer hunting and hoping that I get to see this guy.

I took this picture with my trail camera.

[​IMG]

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nice looking buck Ed! Good luck in getting him!

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    sounds like a good trip guys, keep em coming:big_smile:

13. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thats alright guys, Its the thought that counts!:smile2:

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    man i got to get down there before the bite stops. the last two weeks you guys been really getting into the blues down there. I dont know how this weekend will be for everyone but we should set something up. :wink:

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm planning on being there Wednesday then again next Monday...not sure where I'll be in between then but it will be somewhere on the river! LOL!!!

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'll be out there sometime on the 13th, 14th, or 15th. Mrs. Cuz just dont know that yet.......:0a32:

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    With all of this talk about 100lb fish I will be out there every chance I get! Saw some bulletins from ESPN that had some pictures and those fish are scary big:crazy: I cant wait to get back out there. I think my Ole Buddy Vince is gonna help me make an anchor to get to those hard to reach places! Thanks Vince! I cant go this weekend but I am gonna try to go after work this week a few days.

18. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
  19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the link Ryan. There isnt going to be alot of photos of the fish. I just got off the phone with Harold, and in typical fashion, He and Carey insisted that the fish NOT be kept out of water for any period of time. As soon as the fish was weighed, Harold and Carey insisted that the fish be placed in water immediately. He indicated just how carefull they were with the fish so as not to rub its slimecoat off, and not to give it bad scrapes from being in the boat. Safety of the fish was paramount, and that was in the face of intense media attention and everybody wanting to get photos of the huge fish. What a great example they have set.

Were all proud of Carey and Harold, and the manner in which they handled the fish is exemplary. A huge thanks to them, and all of the fisherman that participated in the event. Especially to all the BOC Bros that participated.

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I couldnt agree more Cuz, I am so glad they are putting that fish back and the care they took to keep it healthy. Man I wish I could have been down there to watch that weigh-in. Well I guess this is a really good example of what can happen when there are some regulations such as length limits. I know we have some fish in that ball park around these parts but if that doesnt tell ya that those slot limits work then I dont know what will.