Saturday storm at Bartlet

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Jul 17, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Not sure who all was out there, but that was a nice storm.

~ I was on the water with my two girls just think'in about where we should go if the storm hits when it hit. High winds blew my homemade shade 20 feet into the air then into the lake. While my wife manuvers the boat I jump in after it. I catch it about 5 feet under and swim it to shore while my wife gets a crash course in manuvering a pontoon boat in high winds with a frightened 4 year old wondering why daddy just jumped ship as it started to rain hard.
    * I drag my shade to shore and get back to the boat just intime to push the lower unit of my merc away from a rock pile.

~ Well, we got into a cove, hid our semi-dri stuff from the pouring rain, grabbed a tarp and spent the next hour watching the rain. What a show!

* I missed every opportunity the flatheads gave me that night. I missed 6 runs throughout the night. got two nice channels, but no flats.
    *** It was a breautiful night though. Not a cloud in the sky and the temp was very comfy.

* I have to try again this weekend.
    * See you all out there.

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I love when it rains on the water! I'm glad to hear that you got your toon fixed as well, I bet it felt great to get out of the heat.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    If you think Sat was a good storm you should have been out there last (SUN) night. Not one cell but two rolled through about 3 hours apart. The first one didnt have much wind but it down poured. The second cell not much rain but it was windy and it produced a really nice lightening display. The one Sat really blew us around. Thank goodness the ez-up survived. It really is difficult to control a 28ft giant sail in heavy winds. We had a little family outing of about twelve people and they were scattered under tarps, ez-ups, on the boat trying to escape the rain and wind. I rode it out on the toon. There were two young boys in inflatable kayacks trying to make headway in the storm. They were thinking about trying to beat the storm and ended up in our camp and enjoyed some hospitality. All in all, a good time was had by all.

4. bigfrog789

bigfrog789 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out. I dont have a boat or a 4 wheel drive vehicle but I love to catfish. Anyone have any suggestions where the best place to shore fish is for big cats in the area that doesnt require 4 wheelin to get there? Most of the fishing Ive done since being out here in AZ is either bass or trout, but being a southern boy from Texas Ive really missed gettin out and catfishing. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

5. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Without 4x4, there are excellent locations along the Salt River right above Roosevelt lake, near the diversion dam. You can park in lighted parking lots and walk down to the river, or you can drive down a trail to a location right on the bank. I've gotten to my favorite spot in cars with no clearance, and its only 1 hour 40 min from Mesa. PM me if you want detailed directions to a good catfishing location.

6. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
  7. bigfrog789

bigfrog789 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. I just shot you an E Mail. Sucks not havin a boat or a truck, but it sounds like that shouldnt keep me from gettin some good fishin in anyways so thanks again.