Saturday night SLAM new PB and 320lb total weight

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Ol Swampy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Well I had a long description of saturdays fishing trip on here but did something and erased it. Here are some pictures! We had an absolute ball especially since the two friend I took had never been on the river or caught a catfish over 5lb. We weighed avery fish and lost count of the total fish we cought but averaged 18lb when we hit 200lb and hadn't cought the 42 yet.

My new PB![​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    congrats!!! way to go brother, those are some nice fish for sure, looks like you guys had a blast.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Way to go!! I can't wait to have another night like that! Those are the best!!! Problem is, when the fish aren't biting like that, you get a little frustrated....I guess nights like those spoil ya!! They Spoil me anyway! :roll_eyes:

4. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on a great outing and the new PB. Those are some nice fish.

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Way to go Swamp, those are some nice fish! Congrats on a new PB and for getting some new guys in on some great fishing. Thanks for keeping me posted that night, I sure wish that I would of bagged my plans and headed out with you.

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Way to go.. Glad you got a new personal best

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Way to go Swampy! Looks like a heck of a good fishing trip!

8. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I need another night like that !!!!!!!!

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Nice Job Swamper, I can tell within about an inch, exactly where you are at! LMAO!:smile2::wink: Too bad that spot didn't pan out last night. I just don't think I was anchored quite right, I kept getting my lines all tangled up in one another. I gave it 45 minutes or so, and I had to make that water rescue.:crazy: I would've liked to give it some more time, but the mother of all storms rolled in, and I had to get outta there. Well, congrats again on the PB, I knew that "dink" you caught with me last weekend wouldn't hold up very long!:cool2::wink:

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    It kind of looks like the spot where we ran outta gas, and he came to help us out. I was wondering why he was watching TV on the way down to us. Thats one heck of a fish congrats :wink:

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Close, Mr. FLOAT TRIP! Actually, the spot is a couple hundred yards north of where we ran out of gas at.:smile2:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That sounds like a great day on the water. Congrats! I know you have made some new catfishermen

13. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    That's an awesome day. Any tidbits on depth and type of structure you can share?

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Way to knock em out Swampy. Sounds like some of these guys are onto ya honey hole:crazy: Surely they'll keep it quiet.:wink:

15. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Just talked to a buddy of mine, He went out by himself lastnight, and belted 380lbs, with the biggest at 47lbs. He said the water is rising fast, cause his truck was partially underwater when he got back.:crazy:

16. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Well we cought them all on asains fillets. We tried shad without a bite. The water was around 27 ft when we were there and there was a small (6-8ft wide and maybe 2ft deep) channel paralleling the bank. We would cast out towards the main channel and the current would drift the bate into the small channel. Those rods outfished all the others 4-1 that night.

One thing I did learn (some guys may do this allready) was for lack of a better term how to "drop back on a fish"
    We missed a few 3-4 hook sets on soft bites the first try and dropped the rod tip back down without reeling and they hammered it. It seemed to work on at least 50-75% of the misses we had. I guess they were mouthing it and when we initially set the hook they thought it was getting away and it got them fired up. Try it it worked great.

Willie,Cuz,and Grumper you are real close on your guestimation. We sat up there at first with no luck and re-anchored 20ft closer to the bank and it realy turned on then. You wouldn't think 20 ft would make a difference but it was how the current swept the baits into the small channel.

17. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on a heck of a night!

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Man, you guys are killin' me - I sure wish *I* lived near a big river with trophy-size blue cats in it....:roll_eyes:

Oh wait - I do.

I just don't spend enough time out there to know how to find them... :sad2:

19. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on your P.B. , Nice bunch of blues !