Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Saturday Night on the White River

695 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MNeffle 
#1 ·
Went out Saturday night from 8:00pm to about 1:00am on the White River. The water temperature was 72.5 and look pretty clear. I didn't move around at all and mainly fished in 3ft of water up river of a deep hole. I had a lot of runs, however was only able to boat one channel. I was using 7/0 Eagle Claw Circle Hooks with a slip rig, but they seemed to keep cleaning my bait and dropping the bait. I might need to use a smaller hook. I was using goldfish and chubs and I was hooking them under the dorsal fin and even tried hooking them threw the eyes. I was fishing alone and didn't want to try to move too much without another set of eyes to help navigate under the cover of darkness. I plan on heading out next Sunday night with a buddy and plan on moving around to several spots with two of us it should make life easier. I have attached a couple pictures of the channel.

Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mike thanks for sharing your Sat. night fishing trip. From the pics you caught some nice cats. Depending on the size of your baitfish, the 7/0 would be my first choice.Good luck on this next trip.:lol: :big_smile:

#3 ·
Nice looking White River cats. I have yet to be able to get out at night this year...most of my free time is coming in the afternoon and I havn't been able to find the daytime cats on the White yet this year. Usually I have a couple of good daytime spots for them, but they aren't producing this year.

#4 ·
Nice channel cat! I am dying to get the boat into the water on the White, but I think I may need to wait until Thursday night. I usually tailor my hook size and bait size to the size of fish I am after and the only time I get my bait stolen is by the little guys taking it off big hooks. If I run into that situation I go ahead and downsize. Another approach would be to put out a couple "big cat" rigs and a couple smaller ones. If you are catching the little guys on the small rigs and the big rigs are getting robbed, you know who the culprit is.

Surprised you aren't running into some flatties this time of year in that shallow water. They should be a hot bite here soon.

#5 ·
Good job on the channels, I was out on the white in northern hamilton county saturday night as well. Couldn't buy a channel....Did catch my first flatty of the year. It was a nice 25lb'er. Caught her in five foot of water just down from the main snag. That first one always gets the blood pumpin'. Good luck and stay att'em.:cool2:

#8 ·
Nice Flathead Randy:big_smile:

Plan on going out this Sunday Night from 4pm to ? on the White River. I plan on targeting Flatheads ( big bait = big fish ) I hope:wink: . I will post my result and a full report after the trip. Thanks to everyone for their replies and sharing their thoughts.

Tight- Lines......................Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.