Saturday night on the Colorado

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, May 19, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Got out on the Colorado river last Saturday night. The weather was really good! The air temps had cooled down to the 90's during the early night and the wind was up just enough to keep the mosquitos at bay...Water temp was at 77 degrees. I thought that we might not catch any flatties because they might be on the spawn period but we pressed on none the less. Got some blue gill from a good hole and hit our first spot. Through out the night, we got pretty good action. There were a total of 9 runs the whole night. With three fish landed. The biggest being just over 9lbs. In one hole, I hooked into something big! The fish pulled off line and when I went to set the hook, the 50lb power pro broke off:confused2:!! Im going back for that fish next weekend! I had all the fish on a stringer for pics the next morning but the 9lb'er got off when I was checking my motor over from a sand bar I hit...the other fish were not so smart:smile2:...another thing I noticed is that most of the fish that got off were not hooked....they were holding on to the bait and then they would let it go once they saw the boat...i was using cut blue gill with 6/0 hooks...i dont know what to make of that...they were obviously really small ones.

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    A few more...

Attached Files:

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like a LOT of action, and Fun!!

I've had them get off stringers before,,,, That's kinda disappointing..
    Thanks for the pics,

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    We had the same type of situation. Several runs. Only hooked 2 Only runs were on bluegill heads nothing at all on live. I think part of it was the low pressure.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Looks like a good time with your friend and family!

Thanks for sharing!

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congratulations on a few nice looking fish, but even more on a couple of great looking young men!

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a nice nights fishing.Thanks for the pics.:big_smile:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats some nice fish.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on brother. Thanks for the report and pics:wink:

10. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was kind of worried that the flatties were on the spawn and that we would see no action all night since the water temps have been holding so warm...it was just the opposite. I have been wondering if the spwan starts much sooner out here than it does elsewhere?

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I think it starts sooner, and lasts longer....IMO

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Right on! The Colorado river is on my list of places I'd like to check out.

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Not all of them will be spawning at the same time. Generally the spawn out this way I found last from April thru early or mid June. Depending on weather sometimes it starts later. But I have caught flatheads during those months with eggs from April to early June. In that time frame you may have pre or post spawners. The ones actually in the spawn are the ones that dont bite much unless you happen to get a male guarding the nest.

B