Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put in at Sandy Chapel about 6pm. Headed towards the Cumberland main channel and there was a thick 8 foot wall of fog hovering over the river. As soon as we turned the corner and hit the river the air was very cold and the water was freezing. We turn around and headed back in to Sandy Chapel creek and the water went from the 50's to the high 60's. We set out 50 jugs and sat there for two hours and not a hit. All the sudden the water started getting more current and the fog off the river came in to the creek, it looked like a horror flick. We gathered up our jugs and went back to the ramp, loaded up the boat and headed to Old Hickory. I figured the further away we were from the main river the warmer the water might be. Wew put in at Davis Corner and headed toward Boxwell, the water there was 72.7. We set out our jugs and stayed until midnight and for the first time ever we were skunked. I talked to Pondwater on the phone and he thought maybe the cold water was comming from Center Hill and the caney fork.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Yeah I imagine that cold water is coming from Caney Fk since it is a trout stream.

Did y'all get much rain down that way yesterday and today? Right here we were right on the outside edge of some storms. Only got less than 1/2" total the last 2 days and a lot of surrounding counties had downpours.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well Jugger, my Sat. catfishing wasn't much better than yours. Charlie, the guy that I fish with managed 2 eater sized catfish on small minnows while crappie fishing some wood in about 8' of water, (but deep water was close). Everytime we have been the past few wks. we have caught catfish while crappie fishing. They have been real shallow for daytime catfish. I saw on the Chatt. fishing board where they have been catching quite a few below Chickamauga dam. Maybe we'll do better next trip. lol. Thats why they call it fishing instead of catching though. lol.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You'll get em next time ! With my boat if there is any real current up here I might as well bank fish ! I have been catching a few eaters from the bank my river has been way up and muddy so the muddy water has been getting warmer every day w/the sun hitting it .But my boat and a trolling motor ain't gonna chase a cat a mile in the current !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.