Saturday morning bite

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big cat matt, May 9, 2009.

1. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Did pretty good this morning.Three of us got our limit of eaters.Big fish was 15 lbs. everthing else was around 5lbs.It was agood mornin,headed back out sunday night to fish all night.Dad caught the biggest one today,I lost a good one that took a 8 inch live shad,the one that got away.Oh well cant complain it was a good trip this morning.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Congrats on the fish caught. Enjoyed.

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great job! Where are yall at...?

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nothin better then a one that got awat story. :wink: Nice job and thanx for the pic.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a great trip thanks for posting.

6. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    We fished loz this morning Dan.

7. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    sounds like a great trip nice pics. I would rather hook a big one and loose um than never hook um at all . :big_smile: were you driffting or achored.

8. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    anchored,tried driftin first and didnt have any luck.Went sunday night and they didnt bite very good for us ,only caught a few small ones.They were runnin alot more water couldnt keep 14 ounce sinker down while anchored in the deep swift water.Thats where we graphed the most fish it seemed like.

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Matt when you say loz and the swift water I am to assume below the dam at truman? What was you bait of choice?

10. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    I ve caught em on perch and bluegills,but for me alomst everywhere its shad ,shad , and shad.Needs to be fresh.Sometimes cut and sometimes live.I fished there once and a buddy brought a boat and so did we.He had frozen shad and started fishin at daylight,he fished for over an hour and caught nothin.We took an hour to find fresh shad and on our first drift my mom that doesnt fish much caught 6 in about 10 minutes!Fresh makes a difference.Sometimes in the heat of the summer if the bite slows down we ll go catch fresh shad and they ll start bitin again.I built a tank thats been keepin shad alive for 3 or 4 days if i keep a eye on em.Maybe I wont have to catch shad when I should be fishin this summer!It is insulated and has a pump for filtering and one for aeration.The filter is on the top.Here is a couple pics of my homemade 24 gallon tank.

Attached Files:

11. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    That tank is pretty neat big catt matt:big_smile:

12. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo

Matt, that is JUST what my boat needs, my live well just kills them cuz it's a rectangle. Got any instructions for a guy to make h imself one or better yet----how much to make me one:tounge_out:

13. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Bob I made that tank out of a 55 gallon barrel cut in half.Then there is a smaller 35 gallon barrel,I think,cut inhalf and slid inside of the larger one.I insulated between the two barrels and sprayed expanding foam at the top and bottom to keep the small barrel from movin.Then put a rule bilge pump
    that pumps up to a filter box that has holes drilled in it with filter material in the bottom.I also have another rule bilge pump that ,I drilled a hole in the discharge just big enough to cram a 1/4 inch air line in.This runs to the top of the tank and sprays little bubbles in the tank.So far it works great,I also can pump water out of it and refresh it with cool well water.This seems to really help keepem longer.Just need to keep a eye on the water temp..

14. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Your homemade tank looks good to me. I bet it was a lot cheaper than those you buy.