Saturday looks good to me

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by kayakgeek, Jan 25, 2006.

1. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Wx report says winds to 7 mph, high of 60-62, sunny in AM partly sunny in PM. With a little bit of planing after a good breakfast with my Ham radio buddies I should be at Dutch Gap by 9 - 9:30. I have the gill net and license, weather resistance digital camera. I'm ready.

Kayakgeek

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    you won't be the only one

from the reports i've been hearing i expect AT LEAST a half a dozen guys i know to be on the water .. if the wind stays a little at bay i think about 10 guys will be out .. i'm sure there will be many many more mostly cruising around with the warm weather

i wish we had a cold winter .. keeps the idiots at home and only the die hards on the water .. makes the catfishin easier too :)

there's a slight chance i'll be out there .. what boat will you be in?

3. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I will be paddling my blue kayak. It's a 13.5' Sit inside with two seats. I slide the front seat to the middle to paddle solo. I fit a milk crate in the back seat for gear and rod holder and have a rod holder up front with me and a Cuda 128 FF between my legs.

My plan will be to go out of Dutch Gap, head toward the barge pitt to set the gill net and then work my way up the channel edge toward the 295 bridge.

Jay

4. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    We should run across your path on Saturday. We will stop and say howdy.

Good luck and be careful out there.

5. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Good Luck! Hope you catch a biggun'

/scott

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    jay if you wanna ditch the yak and ride in a boat i MAY have a seat for you

i'm waiting for a guy to let me know tomorrow .. if he's not you're more than welcome

heck you live somewhere near me so you could ride down and back with me as well

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good luck to everyone fishing tomorrow.

I would be going but will be chasing ducks one last time. Worst Duck Season I have ever seen. I am hunting the Upper James near Lynchburg.

They catch Flatheads up there big as Nebraska. Everytime I duck hunt I drool at the great fish structure in the river where we hunt. Next Summer when the Blues shut down, I am going to try the Flatheads up there.

Anybody fish for them up Lynchburg way?:)

8. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I lived in Lynchburg last year and recently moved to Charlottesville. I've caught one flathead upstream from Lynchburg but I heard from locals that some decent flatties can be caught right in the city. I'll give it a try when the water warms up. Is there decent fishing between Lynchburg and Scottsville? I scouted near where the Rivanna river entered the James and it looked like it had potential...but some local guys said the river was up and it is usually much shallower there.

I fish from a 12' Dagger kayak.

9. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Jay, how'd ya do today?

/Scott

10. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Toooooo much water for a yak to cover.
    It was a wonderful day to be on the water. I was having trouble keeping the gill net set. It was collapsing in on itself, until I realized the top rope was sinking. I had 4 blocks of foam as buoys on the ends so after I moved two of them to the middle it seem to float properly and in 10 minutes I had three shad in the boat. Between paddle time to the 2nd duck blind and messing with the net, it was 2 hours before I even got a piece of bait in the water.
    I worked my way to the bridge and soon had a 22", 4.5 lber in the boat. Think it was a Channel cat. That was it for the day. 5.5 hours on the water and one in the boat.
    STILL... a bad day on the water beats a good day at work. I also learned something new every time I go. And my shoulders are getting in better shape. HaHa!!!!

Geek