Saturday, 1-13-07 "Cumberland City-Skipjack roundup"

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TNVOLCAT, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm planning on trying the steamplant for the elusive skipjack if anyone else is interested in going let me know. I plan on getting there around 7:00 am and probably stay til around noon.

2. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I would like to meet ya over there Brandon but my truck needs some work...no fishin for me for a while :angry:

good luck!
    cyas
    robert

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't think i am going back down there till it gets cold and stays that way for a week or so. This warm weather and high river conditions make it hard to make it worth the trip.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bob and I will be there somewhere. Gonna bring the boat and do some fishing too. Should be plenty of current and hopefully the water will be a bit cleaner by then. Hopefully the skipjacks will be running good too. Better be, I am out of frozen ones. LOL

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bryan, reckon that toon still knows haw to float?

6. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Buck, I bet old Bob has to bait his hook for him.
    Hope he still can reel in the Big one's. Now if he
    was as lousy as me ,when it come's to catching
    Big Fish then he wouldn't have any thing to worry about.
    Brian, hope you and Bob tear them up. Brian ,what
    kind of depth finder do you have?

BIGCAT GarryEads

7. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I am gonna go down there sometime Saturday.

I'm hopeing with the forecast calling for rain it will be empty.

Thinking about going down there saturday evening and if possible setting up on the sand bank of the point for a bit of early night fishing.

I'm bringing my own bait this time though.

Anyone care to join me is welcome to.
    Just let me know so I can bring enough bait.

Last weekend I didn't catch any bait. Reckon it was because the water was up so much or what?

8. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    yea i was down there last weekend as well didn't get anything. there were a couple of guys on the point where they have it fenced off that were catching them. kinda ticked me off i was fishing the same color jigs. just wasn't my day i reckon

9. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Water's still up pretty high this morning. Hopefully it will settle some by Sat. Lot's of good current.

10. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    so if i head down tomorrow i should be good as far as trying ot get Skips and Saugar

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm still planning on going in the morning as long as it's not coming a downpour. I'll be there around 7:00 and stay until noon. Those of you that can make it, I'll see you there.

12. Floyd

Floyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's "normal" pool for Cumberland River Clarksville area ?

13. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I couldn't tell you what normal pool for this time of year is, or anytime for that matter.

What I do know is that I was down there Sunday around noo, till like 5 or so.

There was a barge tied up on the point so I couldn't fish were I wanted to, but fished off the point casting out 45 degrees or so in to the mouth of the discharge. I don't know what was out there, but whatever it was it was pecking my bait from the time I threw it out till it was gone for the whole time I was there on both poles.

My fish to bite ration went way down yesterday.

Saw a few strippers take though. And one Skippie.

Later,
    Steve

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I did make it there Sat. morning, but the rain finally got the best of me after about 2 hours of on and off light rain.The rain finally decided to set in and I called it a day with only 1 shad to show for my effort and was lucky that I snagged it. There was only 10 or 12 people there and it was slow for them also. There was a fellow throwing a castnet getting a few shad that he and 2 other guys were using for striper bait. I never saw a single skipjack caught.

15. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Bob and I couldn't get there til about 11ish. We launched the pontoon and gave it a try for the skipjacks for awhile. I don't think we even had a bite. We had a few frozen skips with us, so we went on down the river and gave it a try. I think we had one or two small bites in an hour or two. So we came back up to Guice Creek and fished for some crappie til about 4:30. We did manage 3 keepers. Rained mostly a light rain the whole time we were out there. Glad I got a top on the boat. We figured that most of you guys were already gone, or we'd have stopped for a bit to talk. If any of you guys ever see us out there, yell or something. My pontoon is a 24 foot Premier with a 75HP Honda engine on the back. Got 4 rod holders on the back too that is a dead giveaway for it. We're gonna try to be out there again this Saturday, but hopefully a bit earlier.

16. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bryan, good luck to yall this Sat. I'm going to be out of town this weekend or I'd try'em again myself.