Saturday 01/07/06 Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gweber, Jan 9, 2006.

1. gweber

gweber New Member

Went fishing out of Osborne on Saturday at around 7am. Two sets of the gillnet and had plenty of bait. Water temps all around were hovering around 43F, except in the eastern Dutch Gap area which was up to 46F due to the warm water discharge. Fished a strong outgoing tide from 9am to 4pm.

Fished around the wrecks going back to the plant with no bites. Fished Henricus with no bites. Fished along the golf course with no bites. Fished right beside a guy along the channel edge leading up to the 295 bridge, he had a 50# fish and ten others between 20-30# and we got no bites. He caught his fish an hour earlier. Basically we got completely skunked, which has never happened to me before on the James.

I could not believe the number of fish we marked on the channel edge between dutch gap and the 295 bridge. They were all on the warm water side, and there must have been thousands. Have any of you seen this before?

Anybody else fish on Saturday?

gweber

2. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    We went out all day as well. Put in at Osborne at 7am...went to get bait around Dutch Gap and went way upriver didnt mark many fish at all and didnt catch a thing all day. didnt really see any other fish caught either. I know exactly which boat you were talking about that caught fish b/c we saw them sitting down there when we went to get bait.... i guess the early bird got the worm that day!

3. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i've seen it before .. i've also seen it where i mark tons of fish like you and don't get a single bite

they typically school up this time of year so maybe they were just passing through .. perhaps if you could have figured out which way they were going and setup ahead of them, who knows?

anyway it seems like we're having a consistant off then on bite this year .. last year the switch was either on or half on but never off .. i don't know what happened this year .. maybe the temps are too high but for some reason we're getting strings of days where there is no bite to speak of

sorry to hear you got skunked but don't feel bad .. you were one of many from this weekend that went home empty handed

4. gweber

gweber New Member

It has been consistently more on the off side than anything else this year for me. I've even had an off day with a guide who always hooks me up. It just seems like there are many days when the big fish just aren't moving at all. Small little bites with fish pecking the guts out of baits seems to be the norm.

Tank, so you've seen the fish on the channel edge there before and not had anything move as well. I have to think that they are going up on what is really a giant flat from henricus all the way up into the back, and gorging on shad. Then they come back and sit fat, dumb and happy in that channel edge. Or maybe they are ambushing the shad from the channel directly.

Have any of you guys been watching the barometer? Tank and Malligood your big day was on a warmer day with a steady barometer, right? Almost every time I've been out the last 10 times has been on the back side of a cold front, on a clear cold day witha rising barometer. I've heard several people who follow the barometer say that it's got to be falling or steady to find them biting. I'm starting to think that the big blues are very sensitive to barometer readings.

Anyway, I'm thinking that when you put abundant bait (which leads to gorging) together with multiple and very frequent cold fronts, you get a pretty weak bite overall. Also, my guide friend has told me many times that when the bite shuts off on the James, the whole river shuts off. According to his experience it isn't a hole or portion of the river thing, it's the whole darn river.

What do you guuys think is happening?

5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Charles Town West Virginia
    Barometric pressure is just one of many factors that effect fish feeding habits. Other effects include water temperature, light, tidal forces, water clarity, the pH level, water levels, wind/surface disturbance, boat traffic, fishing pressure, and so on. The general rules regarding barometric pressure are:
    High pressure, clear skies = fish slow down, find cover, or go to deeper water.
    Rising Pressure, clearing or improving skys = fish tend to become slightly more active
    Normal and stable Pressure, fair weather = Normal fishing
    Falling pressure, and degrading weather = Most active fishing
    Slightly lower pressure and usually cloudy weather = Fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggresive.
    Low pressure, rainy and stormy = Fish will tend to become less active the longer this period remains.

It is important to note that after a long feeding period, the action will slow regardless of the following conditions. On the flip side, a long period of poor fishing conditions may be followed by a really good one.

It is also important to note, that the barometric pressure is just one of many factors that effect fish feeding habits. Other effects include water temperature, light, tidal forces, water clarity, the pH level, water levels, wind/surface disturbance, boat traffic, fishing pressure, and so on. Another good judging factor of fishing is the solunar effects which play a role in the tidal and illumination factors.

For whatever that's worth

6. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Excellent information there on the barometer theory kahuna! Thanks. I printed that off to study further...

7. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    Not trying to make it seem even more impossible for us to figure out but...the differences in pressure from a strong low to a strong high pressure system requires a fish to change it's elevation in the water column only a few inches to acheive the same pressure as before the change. The effect of these pressure changes does something other than make them "uncomfortable" at their current depth... we just haven't figured it out yet!