Satisfying Sassafras Day

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Netmanjack, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well the sap is down and the weather is mild and the ground thawed. The prefect makings for a day in the woods. My grandson Riley and I decided to take advantage of the situation and dig us up some roots. His first experience with Sassafras tea. Yes sir, nothing like it to satisfy a cold chill. We found plenty of saplings near the old family cemetery. Of course I already new they were growing there, but why spoil a good hunt? lol Like all boys I expect, he likes things that hold an edge. Chopping, cutting, sawing or just plane chiving (his name for whittling) definitely has it's place in his day. Then there is the perfunctory tough looking pose if a photo is involved. lol We had a lot of fun, but then we always do when there are no adults around.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You have a very cute lil grandson. So happy to know about adults spending time and making precious memorys with their lil folks.:wink::smile2:Sister Pat

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sounds like a great day! I haven't had sassafrass tea in probably 25 years. May have to take a trip to the woods. Thanks for the reminder of something I loved as a kid!

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That sounds like a rather nice day of play....... Have a few small chunks from last year, I put them in a vacum seal bag and tossed in freezer, not sure if they are still any good to use what ya think? should be fine and full of flavor ya recon? I just figured it would keep it that way as most things stay pretty well in them vacum bags......... Look like you two had a ball, Very nice.

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    one of the things I look forward to deer season I always find an old sas root I dug up the year before.
    smokey