Satilla trip Jan. 12

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by matt22va, Jan 14, 2008.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Me and a couple of buddies went up to run bush hooks on the Satilla. We ended up with 5 fish. 4 flatties between 2 and 26 and 1 channel that was about 2 pounds. All in all we had a really good time.
    I also heard a rumor this weekend and I have no idea if it's true. I heard that in the last two weeks on the Satilla 9 tons of flathead catfish have been shocked up and dumped at the landfill. Like I said, no idea if it is true. I know they have been shocking them up to help out the bream population but why not give them to a shelter or the needy? You guys and gals let me know if you have any more accurate info.

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think the reason they are tossing the fish is heavy metal contamination.why they are fighting a losing battle is above my head.:crazy:

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Just read an old post by cuda cada and found out why the fish have to be discarded. Too high a mercury content for weekly consumption. What a shame.

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the report. I heard they were trying to remove flats from the Satilla, but I personally think it's a waste of time and money. All DNR is doing is delaying what will eventually happen anyway. If there's that many flatheads already there, DNR will never get them all. I understand flats are not native there, but DNR is fighting a losing battle and that money could be spent on better catfish management throughout the state, just my opinion. Anyone who catfishes the Satilla should complain to DNR. If more people want to cafish than redbreast fish, then they might stop.

5. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Yeah Bumper, I know what you're saying. I'm not smart enough to know what the end effect will be for the river. Will the flatheads totally wipe out the bream population or just make bream fishing alot more challenging. There are still bream in the altamaha but I don't know how the river has been affected overall. It seems like it would all balance out over time. These flatheads are all over santee-cooper also and there is a very diverse fishery there from bream to bass to catfish. Throw in all the blue cats and big channel cats that are in that system and eating the same things as the flatheads and there doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't know though, I'm not a biologist. One question for you guys that fish the Satilla: How far up river from the ramp in Woodbine do I need to go to get into some good flatties? The ramp on burnt fork road sucks for my homemade pontoon trailer. Thanks
    Matt

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I got a few pics in from the weekend so I figured I'd post em.
    Matt

7. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    O.K, doing something wrong. I'll try again.

8. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Well, they won't upload. It keeps saying failed. Any ideas?

9. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    if you dont want to eat them then release them to get bigger! and the dnr should leave them alone .....they are fun to catch...dnr should findout where the mercury come from , spend there time on that not trying to get them out

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Good idea Chris but you know that would make to much sence for the DNR to figure out:smile2: