Satellite maps

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wayne1967, Jun 13, 2008.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are there any online satilite maps you can view that are close to realtime?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Only if you work for the government, ie military, CIA, FBI etc.........:wink:

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    not sure about the "real-time" but I like to use google maps. The one you download onto your computer not the website one. With the free software download you can zoom in a lot closer than the one on their website. And I do believe it has an option you can click on that will tell you when the last scan was per section you are looking at.

MS Virtual Earth is another good one to use. It's the same map if you go to weather.com and type in your zip and then scroll down to the interactive weather map. Once there you can switch to satellite view and zoom in real close. I can see my Lowrance on my boat LOL. I once saw a blue on bed on a lake LOL.

But those two are the closest to real time with the better zoom features that I have found and use.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I looked at the google map. It must be from over a year ago. There a grainery near me that has built more since then but the map still shows it all clear. It would be nice the way you ca zoom in. Could tell you what dikes and structure that are showing at a glance.

5. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    When I use the google map software (not maps.google.com), I can see some man made dikes on a river I fish and they are only about 40 foot long by 10 foot across. I can also see them using the weather.com MS Virtual Earth view as well.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Google Earth. The coolest thing out there.
    You can punch in a place like Baghdad and it will fly you there.
    Punch in the statue of liberty and it will fly you there.
    Punch in your address and it will fly you there.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am a big fan of google maps myself. Real time are hard to come by even in the military.