Sat. day report........still strugling!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Sep 13, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Took my son and my dad with me out of DG around 7:30am, stopped at Castaway and got a few eels.

I went upriver to a couple of spots...my son got couple of 1 and 2 pounders. You dont have to pay much attention in science class to realize the sun is a large ball of fire in the sky. My god was it hot!:crazy:

I was able to get some bait in my cast net up near falling creek. My cast net skills are improving. I had quite the variety today: smallmouth, largemouth, bluegill, shad (1 cutter), and a jumbo carp probably 6 pounds. MY son thought he was pretty cool.

We set out 7 rods with fresh bait each time, shad, eel, bluegill and still was very slow. ended the day with 5 fish, one being a 1lb flathead (on bream) and best of day 6lb blue. I still can not seem to be able to get on the better size fish.

I know it takes time to learn but man it's frustrating with these dinks. One of these days Mr. Monster has to come to visit.

PS thanks to all the input on the "clickers" You guys and girls are great!

2. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    how large of a hook are you using?

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    YES IT'S HOT....I fished this weeked. Friday Osborune till I kept getting hung up...lost a ton of braid(----$$$$) went down to Dock Street...One guy caught a nice flathead me and everybody else...nothing. stayed till 10pm...hey didn't get shot...
    Saturday was my day 2 eating size blues and a real nice size channel. The heat is brutal down there it's like fishing in a parking lot.
    Today (downtown Richmond again) awful, and awful hot. I played babysitter to some mom who dropped her young fishing son off. He clung to me like the ship was going down. Nice kid knew alot about fishing around the city. I got as much info about the "killer holes" as I could. Gave him 2 litters of cold water and left...he was dropped off with no snacks, water ect....says he's going to stay down there till night. Aren't there child abandonment laws?????
    Still for me no fish and no fun.....

AS FAR AS THE MONSTERS...you will get one you're on the right track.
    Right area ect... I still think the water may be too warm.
    good luck, every trip is a learning experience. If it wasn't it would get dull.:wink:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great report!

< I know it takes time to learn but man it's frustrating with these dinks. One of these days Mr. Monster has to come to visit.>

Don't worry, or get discouraged. I have a good feeling your monster is right around the next river bend!

Bill in SC

5. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey Shirley,

I'm using circle hooks and a variety of sizes. 5's 8's and 10's. I try to use baits accordingly. Small bait small hook, and large , large.

I try to get a good spread on my rods and mix it up. Some shallow some deep and some in between.

I think my next question may be how to hook the bait. Hard to explain w/o pictures but I try to make sure the hook is exposed. When hooking a head bait I have tried going through the mouth and sometimes hook it through the belly close to the intestines.
    Bream I hook through the lower part of the tail. Eels are tough to hook with circle hooks. I try small 2 to 3" pieces some 6 to 8' tail sections (thats what the 6lb hit yesterday). I've heard of using the whole eel live ($$$). Wow eels and the price of gas:angry:

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Some people do use the whole eel live but you have to be careful where to hook it. It may wind up and just be a ball of eel an not look natural. I've only seen people use hunks of eel. All I can tell you from pictures I've seen and you can go to youtube and see how people in Richmond bait with eel and cut shad..live videos. It sounds you are doing everything right. You know sometimes its a little luck. I can't tell you how many times I've been fishing with the "prime" bait, hooks, line, rod, reel, ect....and somebody who has only been fishing once..."right next to me" with marshmellows and a prayer pulls in larger than any fish I've pulled in. Mark my word I will stop fishing when a 5 year old right next to me pulls in a monster with her barbie rod and her dad who can't spell the word fish....:confused2:

your day will come....
    thats a huge fish in your avitar....go back to that same place you caught it.
    work that area, I'm sure it's a hole

7. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It seems to me that mid to late summer on the james has been the toughest time to locate the "big blues". I get the same results, dinks or the crabs and small ones just clean the hook! I have had 1 good pull last fri. at night but, we all know the story, it got away! Felt nice like 20 plus maybe, ran straight to the bank into some rocks and then nothing but empty hooks.:eek:oooh::confused2: Looking forward to cooler weather and hopefully better fishing yet to come! Good luck and see ya on the water real soon!:smile2: