Sat 10/27

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Cornmeal and Catfish, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Went fishing on sat. The wind was so high we couldn't keep the boat in the main channel where they were, so we decided to make the best of the day and hit a long canal that protected us from the wind.

The day started off slow! The guy with the boat didn't set his clock and I found myself waiting for him along with my father in law. I woke up at 5, drove 130 miles to my in laws, and had to wait 2 1/2 hours before the fella finally showed up. Next time he will be left behind!

When we got in the water and into the canal the deepest water was 10' and 65* water temps. I knew then that my crappie adventure was over. I took the jigs that I've been making aside and put on a couple spit shots and a #10 hook. We had 300 crickets just in case this happened. I've fished the area before, but t had been a while. These guys had never fished the area in a boat so I drove to a few known spots. We pulled in some small bluegill, shellcrackers, and warmmouth in the first spot. We were throwing close to the bank around visable brush.

After 30 or so small perch I turned around and noticed current running under a dock. I thew under the dock trying to get back toward the wooden wall that held the bank, but was 3' off. Before the cork settled I had a bite. The fish fought hard and I brought it back to the boat. My first good fish was a big gill.

Long story short we had a blast. The later it got the better the bite was, and I noticed that the fish strted feeling warmer. I guess they were coming from the deep water into the shallows to feed. I didn't count, but we must have kept 70+ perch and 1 3lb. bass. I did forget the camera again! I'm going to keep it in the truck from now on!

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Where'd you fish??:roll_eyes:

3. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Ifished the Lacombe area. Are you from that area?