SARL 10-22 & 23 Trouttin..

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Socal-Mike, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    As the weather cools and the year gets into its final quarter, the lakes get excited. Yes, its that time of the year. Time to paint the boats, cut the shrubs, clean up the algae, hire more staff, clean the scum in the porta potties that piled up during catfish season, rake up the price and blame it on gas- o yeah baby its trout season! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, me and pops get all excited and pretty much stock up on the 4# test, tiny treble hooks, powerbait for days, a few kastmasters a bunch of power worms, mini jigs and good ol nightcrawlers. O yeah and a couple flavors of the crave, garlic is key.

My pops is now getting 100% back into the fishing itch and is fromt he ol skool, so hes all abotu gettign there early.

10-22
    He rolls out and gets there before 4. Hes about 12th inline, theres 4 lines tho. I get there around 530ish, lines already moving in..theres about 60 cars in front of me total, they got everyone in pretty quik tho.

I meet BeMoreWize from the FN and we fill our float tubes (itllbe my first time)
    Meet up with pops, hes in between bubble hole and the pipes..its about 630 and alredy elbows to assholes in the spot.
    I set my gear up and get ready to launch.

Tip: NEVER EVER by waders for $10 from Big 5 and expect them to be good. :cursing:

Launch, they start filling up quik. Return to land, take em off- relaunch commando style. Float to the pipes, toss jigs- testees start to shrivel to raisen size- return to shore...need to get my body temp back to 98 before i go into shock :eek:

OK, its creepin on 9am and my dad has one and a couple are beign caught around us...not too many, except "tiny" in the corner. Must have landed 20 3 to 4#ers and passed them out to people next to him. Was kind of irritating, but comical to see people "squeeze" in next to him and try only to get tangled.

Then the boats, oh my...about 3 tied to the bouy line, another 3 tubes..and a kayak to boot. All casting into about 50 feet of water space.

This goes on for hours. We get bit but lil pecks, nothin hammering it. We move around 1 to our catfish spot which i heard was good for trout. I hook up immediately.
    Lil pecks follow for the next couple hours. Got some runners on a crawler, but no hook ups..coulda been some kittys.

Fun day, tried all kinds of power baits from bright green to rainbow to orange. threw castmasters and some mini jigs.

Power worms and fl. orange PB was the ticket that day, we just couldnt get into a good spot with a hot bite. Met up with my buddy BMW who got into a hot bite at the pipes around 130 and got his limit with a fat 5#er. He had some good waders :D

We left with 2 trout, i was disappointed...but id be back. I was already planning.

2. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    So as i was leaving on Saturday i noticed the line for nght fishing was only 3 cars deep at 415pm.
    I wanted to come back the next morning, i was left unsatisfied :cursing:
    Probably had about 3 hours sleep the night before, so unless i was going to just sleep there- that was out of the question.

So i talk myself into goin the night session, wasnt too hard tho.
    Just me today, no pops, no lil bro.
    So i go out and buy some Garlic flavor gravy and some more power worms.

I get there right at 4. 3 cars ahead of me, i set up my gear and get ready. They open the gates around 445ish and i immediately head to "Tinys spot"
    Once car makes a right but i still have another ahead of me...he slows right at my spot, im like NO!!!!!! :eek: He passes. I swerve into the spot and the guy behind me smiles and pulls next to me.

Get the pole holders down there and stake your ground! Half the fun is just fighting for a spot.
    So i get the "spot" that i witnessed some good fishing from.
    The dude next to me introduces himself and goes on to give me tons of good trout info and tips. Apparatnly he does best at night, so that was good.

First off, told me i have to use glowing PB at night. i dig thru my 10 bottles and i have one, rainbow chroma glow- i bait up and cast two poles out about 15 feet.

Still setting up, at 520 my pole goes major bendo..fish on, nice fight on my microspinner shakespear rig. Hes a fatty and barely misses the 4# mark. Caught on rainbow chromaglow soaked in garlic gravy.

Gets slow for a while, trout crashin the surfacebut not too much action. Then he lands a couple in a row. Bendo, reel. Bendo, reel again. All on the chromaglow and garlic.

The bites continue but theyre lil pecks again and he now has 3 fish to my 1. :confused:
    I decide to try a bigger hook and while tying i get bendo'd again...lose my hook and leader and land the fish. finally. its about 8ish now.

Back to tying my leader after another 30 minutes, oops bendo again...this time i get so excited i jump up with the hook at the tip of my thumb. the lines still attached to the spool..and im stepping on it. Stepping on line, hook near thumb...quik jump, OUCH- hook goes into the thumb. Poles bouncin everywhere so i just yank it out!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOO, woke me up quik :eek:
    Good news is i landed the fish.

Over the next couple hours the lil pecks continued...and they were damn good at stealing bait. I managed two more, the biggest of the nigth was my first one.

Left at 11 with my limit, plus lots of good info on the lake and baits from a regular that hits it at night. I will still be doing alot of nights to avoid the crowds.

All in all, was a good time and alot better than saturday. I was pleased.

Please excuse my cheap $20 digi cam..heres the limit.
    (ill post after i get it re-sized)

Attached Files:

3. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Sorry, couldnt edit after 5 minutes.

Wanted to add-
    Lake was dark and murkey- i tossed some mini jigs and a kastmaster for not even a bump. Dude told me its a waste of time at night when its that muddy.

All bites were on either- Rainbow, Chartreuse Green or yellow chroma glow PB.

Garlic gravy is a must as well.
    All small treble hooks, and a 1/4 sliding sinker- about 14" leader. All 4# test.

Casted about 15 feet out into the current and let it carry it a little.

Hope this helps someone that decides to try it out.

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Way to go Mike. Man what a hassle during the day! Chroma P/B is it by Berkley or Crave? I might go this weekend; not sure yet though.

Jaime

5. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Original Power Bait- not the crave stuff. The garlic dip is crave brand i think :confused:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice going on the trout. I may be going soon.

7. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Thanks man, let me know when u head out. Maybe ill be able to swing out. Give me some more pointers on em' Once i get my waders ill be tubin there alot more. I think thats the best way to go if anyones into that kinda thing.
    I guess it aint too bad afterall :eek:

Im actually gonna make sure i do the once a month overnighter thing they have.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I also plan on getting some float tubes as well. Proboly will get one after the new year and try tubing at Sarl and Corona.

9. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Imagine tubing at the Vine and hooking up with a 35 pound blue... :eek: Good times.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    What eqiupment is needed for the float tube. I would need to get an extra strong float tube; Im not exactly petite. I wonder how much it would cost.

Jaime

11. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Mike,

That would be great to go 'tubin'. I've got one too. I just need to get some new waders. The lowest price decent quality ones you can buy from Turner's for like $40. They're neoprene so they are great for cold weather but you sweat in hot weather.

Laguna Niguel lake is a great lake to tube and trout fish, too. I'm thinking of fishing Irvine or SARL next weekend. Let me know wat your plans are. Maybe we can meet together and fish.

Let me know.

CHUY

12. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Sounds good man.
    Let me know if u find soem cheap decent waders..i need some too.
    went commando style and almost sunk with cramps!

Jaime, they have bigger tubes..but i would actually look into a kick boat type of deal. some guy on FN had one for $150. U dont sit in the water AT ALL.

I just dont have a way to carry it in the civic.

13. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    daaang, they dont mess around when they stock trout in there. Nice fish bro!