Sardis Lake

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by canebreaker, Oct 16, 2005.

1. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    We tried the lake from engineers point across the dam to the north side. I caught a white bass and an 11" crappie. Deb caught 2 small cats. We could see the fish on the depth finder but couldn't get them to bite.

2. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Cane Breaker, I've never fished Sardis in the Fall but have in the Spring for a couple of years. I have a good friend who lives in Sardis and kept bragging about the 3 lb. Crappie that they catch down there so I couldn't stand it and had to try it.

The first year I was about a week to ten days early on the spawn but caught plenty of half to one pounders to keep us interested. Plus a lot of catfish up in the creeks.

Two years later I went back and did about the same as before until the last day when we ran across a school of 3 lb. plus Crappies and three of us limited out on them that morning. They didn't look real and I should have had a stringer mounted as I probably will never do that again. Schoe

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Jimmy i've been living close to Sardis lake for 37 years and I have never crappie fished in Sardis lake but I've seen a lot of crappie caught over the years.I've seen friends limit out in a short time and I seen them fish all day and not even catch enough for supper.I don't crappie fish so I can't help you by telling you where or how to fish.I only catfish so I've have only crappie fished one time and that was in an oxbow lake on the miss. river.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jim Faulkner,how is it going these days.Good to see an oldtimer from the old BOC is still with us.Hope all is well with you and yours.WOW never fished for crappie on SARDIS.That is dedicated to catfishing.Didn't SARDIS hold the world record for a while or was that ENID?

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Hello Mississippi :D

This here trucker will be spending time in Myrtle, MS this year and next. I seen where Sardis Lake is real close by along with the river runnin in and out.

I know nothing of the area but am looking for suggestions and help. This here bankfisherman sees the Rt 7 bridge and will be checking it out. Oh yes fer the "BIG CATS" guys.

Thanks
    "Have Rods Will Travel"
    <><Bait killer><>
    No PMs please fer my home PC is FRIED :glare: !

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Jim I been here 4 years and I ain't goin' no where,I'm here for life!! :grin-big:

BaitKiller I don't fish in cold weather but I'll do the best I can to take you fishin' next year.I'm in the phone book so call me when you got time and I'll show you around.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Badkarma

:thumbsup:

Thanks Jim, how do you do on the biggins on the lake and in the river that feeds it?

<><Baitkiller><>

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Baitkiller the biggest cat I've ever cought in the lake was 20 lbs or so and that was 30 years ago on a trotline.My biggest is 25lb and it came from the spillway.In the last 3-4 years I've done ok driftfishing in old stream beds in the lake but I haven't fished Sardis that much in the last 30 years or so to much time workin' and not fishing.I don't have a fishing buddy and sence I wound up in a wheelchair and can't launch a boat by myself I've been spending my time and money going to gatherings,heck I've been fishing the Ark.and Tenn.rivers more than I've been fish my local waters.I like Granada spillway for big cats and I have hooked a few big ones there over the years but something always goes wrong and I've never landed one because of broke rods,reels,line,no landing net and bent hooks but I keep trying.When the weather lets me I plan to do a little bigcat fishing this winter and see if one can bend a 10/0 kahle or brea l 80lb line on a heavy deepsea fishing rig .

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Remember to check out the ACATS Classic coming to Sardis in September 2006 over $100,000 payout this will be a big tournament member from all over will be there.

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Badkarma

I lovs spillways, but where the heck is granda please.

Right now I'm in Atlanta for a 1 1/2 day layover with a load that gets delivered Monday AM. This is why I'm asking about the areas in Mississippi for WHEN I get time in Myrtle its time to fish.

Jim, thanks for your reply and help. I will pay fer all the gas etc when it comes time to fish. Is there anyplace that you know where we can net Shad there. When I see that I will have some time in Myrtle I will call just to chat till the weather breaks.

I have some rods that may help ya Jim that I can bring.

Thanks Brother
    "Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Steve there are 4 flood control lakes lined up north to south along 55 HY they are Arkabutla,Sardis,Enid and Granada.I had to sell a house in the south end of my county that I had lived in for 13 years and it was only 5 or so miles from the backwaters of Enid lake.I moved to this county 37 years ago I have lived close to the backwaters Sardis and Enid lakes but when I was a kid I lived less than 4 miles from Granada spillway so I kind of have this thing for for it when I fish there it's kind of like going home if you know what I mean.I live on the east end of Lafayette county now and Granada is almost 1 1/2 hour drive but I still drive it cause there have been some big cats landed at Granada spillway and I've been trying to catch one there all my life.Bait is no problem cause I have skapjack in the freezer and most times I can get shad at the spillway and I even have wire baskets for droping from the wall.I have used wire baskets for catching shad all my life and never had or needed a castnet(I bought one 3 years ago and have never thrown it in the water).I don't fish in cold weather but if you're here on a warm day this winter we'll give it a try.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Badkarma

Jim, up here in Ohio I drive from Akron to the Ohio River to fish for the Flatheads the same 1.5 hrs that you speak of. There are no Blues or Flats near Akron.

I am game.

Looking Forward to "06"
    Thanks
    <><Baitkiller><>

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Baitkiller I can't make you a promise but I do know there some good cats at Granada and just cause I ain't cought one don't mean they ain't there.I've had rods broken,spincast reels gear striped,and hooks strightened but one of these days I'm gona land a bigone there.If a cat can out do my heavy roller tiped rod 309 Penn and 80lb line that means it just ain't ment to be.hehe (I lost a very big blue on the Tenn. river at Pickwick 3 years ago last spring when the cat wraped my line around a big rock)I'm looking forward to meeting up with you and doing some fishing after all they don't call me badkarma for nuthing.In o6 we can take my boat and do some night fishing at Granada spillway. Pm your e-mail addy and I'll send you my phone # so even if it's to cold to fish when you're at Myrtle I can ride over and pick you up and show you around.FYI you can only use one rod with 2 hooks when fishing at any of the spillways.

14. speedy1_36

speedy1_36 New Member

State:
    Bruce,Mississippi
    Where do you live in Oxford? I live in Bruce,ms. Just right down the road. I fish Grenada a lot. I also fish Enid.

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Speedy I live on HY 30 east.It's been 37 years but I moved here from Slate Springs.

16. speedy1_36

speedy1_36 New Member

State:
    Bruce,Mississippi
    I live just off 32 hwy between Bruce and Houlka(Reid Comm.) if you know where that is I fish Grenada spillway all the time and the lake too and Enid. I have snagged at Sardis Spillway but never fished it. Snagging was fun but snagging from 12:00 to daylight Oct. 1 and then going bowhunting just about did me in. I didn't see you had posted again or i would have answered already. Maybe i will see you at the lake sometime. Do you ever catch any big ones at Sardis here lately me and my son(13 yrs old) have had some dry runs at Grenada(Youngs Landing) and he is ready to try somewhere else. We nearly got blown off Enid 2 weeks ago water was white capping and spray was coming in the boat so bad we were soaked in no time. So far the winter time cat fishing is not what i hoped for. Nice to see some local folks on here for a change maybe we can wet a hook sometime. See ya...Bruce Green

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Bruce this getting close to home,my son lives on 15hy south of the 15hy-32hy 4 way stop and my youngest girl lives around there too.I don't fish much in cold weather and if we don't get togather this winter we surly will next summer.My #side kick fishing buddy is my 13 year old grandson Joel who spends his summers with me so you know I'll have to take him catfishing.

18. speedy1_36

speedy1_36 New Member

State:
    Bruce,Mississippi
    Sounds good I'm always ready for a trip. My son also.. Yeah that is close to home I go through there all the time. I have a friend who lives at Algoma. I won't get to go for a couple of weeks either Youth weekend is this weekend and my son can't wait to lay the smack down on a big old doe. Then next weekend it is opening day for me. And I just might be forced in to shooting one too. lol... Don't have to twist my arm much. I love it. It is a toss up between fishing or hunting. Talk to ya later. Bruce

19. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Bruce I had to give up deer hunting.I got where I couldn't drag em out any more and was about to break down my hunting buddy cause he had to drag his own and mine so I just stoped.My fishing problem is my little fishing buddy lives 3 hour drive away and can only fish with me when schools out.I'm gona to train him to back my boat trailer and that will make it a lot easyer on his old crippled up granddaddy.

PS MP me your phone and house number and next time I'm down that way I'll stop by and say hi.

20. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Speedy, do you ever try to find catfish over at Houlka? I have been there when the kids was havin some kind of fishin rodeo type thang and some catfish was caught. but I wonder is there any gooduns in there? On another subject I was hopin you would remember me. Matthew L. Griffin, my father is Russell from Bruce.

Attached Files: