sardines

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, May 10, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I like eating sardines, when i was in college i lived on them, kitkat bars and drpepper. I still enjoy a can ever once and a while, Packed in oil, mustard, tomato sauce, and now a new flavor texas hot sauce. Ok some you may say yuck, well there nothing like the taste of sardines on crackers or some good french bread, My wife does not much like me eating them, she says i smell like a cat that just ate a can of cat food. I like most stuff anything smoked, I grew up eating herring, smoked, dried, pickled, and a few ways which i can not describe.I also us to eat american shad and hickory shad every spring when the run was on. I love shad roe fried in butter, My grandmother use to make a dish using slated cod, she would soak it for a day or so to get the salt out and bread it and fry it up, She was right off the boat form italy, I have never since had anything as good or unique. back to sardines, my wife always keep me well stocked with them, there are several brands out there, I like the spanish sardines best. There a little bigger and firm. You may have seen them there packed in a can shape like a football. Most are packed in a rectangle can. I have had fresh sardines and forzen ones, Just not the same, I did come across a greek restraunt that made fresh sardines that were to die for, You just need to get past the heads and tiny little eyes staring back at you. Most places i use to get fresh made fish alway had there heads on it, There was one place i use to go to when i was younger that had live trout and they cooked the way you wanted, yea with a head on and eyes staring back at you.. Well just wanted too share this, enjoy and open a can on me. jeff

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love sardines, eat them all the time. Also love anchovies. I'd like to try some really authentic Italian or Spanish sardine dishes someday....

I also mix a couple cans in with my chicken livers and let them sit a few days, cats love em too...:big_smile:

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Yup packed in mustard sauce is my favorite.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am with you Jeff I love the ones with hot chilie slices in them, also kipper snacks.

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I grab a couple cans of sardines now and then and Vienna sausage . probably got some in the cabinet now.
    Good stuff when camping, fishing, watching football ,anytime, make a meal .

I like the mustard or hot sauce sardines . BBQ, Cajun and spicy Vienna sausage. Crackers, slice of longhorn cheese, pepperjack, cobby or Cheddar ( maybe a shot of Tabasco sauce ) and throw in a snickers bar at the end. I can stay all night.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Anchovies on pizza rocks. I also love sardines or anchovies in oil. :big_smile:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    My absolute favorite pizza is mushroom and anchovie. I Love it! When I was in Italy that was what I always ordered... incredible!!

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    HELL YEA!!!!! Gotta go with the ones in the oil. King Oscar brand.:smile2:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i got some leftover shad from tonight, wanna try it on a pizza? :smile2::eek:oooh: rollo

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have to respond. I love them too. I guess I started with mustard, but love them all now. I keep a can or two in my fishing gear at the ready. I like them with the hot sauce, but whats even better with hot sauce is smoked oysters. Anchovies on pizza for sure. Did you guys ever have Blind Robbin? Great stuff but it stinks to high heaven if your not the one eating it! lol. Pickled herring in wine sauce is to die for. One of my families traditions, which is down to only my Uncle and I now is salt Mackerel with fried potatoes and boiled eggs sliced on top for breakfast. Now that is good!:big_smile:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like the lil' stinkin things myself. Prefer the hot sauce and chilies, some pepper jack and crackers. These go well with the pickled eggs i keep in the fridge.:wink:

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love sardins and oysters

13. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I wonder how smoked gizzar ,or thin fin shad smoked would taste. I know when i come off the lake there are a someone wanting my left over shad, Not for bait either they fry them up whole and eat bones and all. One day i made a stop at the a place i know that is thick with shad and filled up my cooler with them around 200 and when i got back to the dock there they were asking if i had any shad left over,Yep they never asked me again lol.

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Don't laugh... I've thought about it... filet em, salt em and soak em in olive oil....just might work....lol :smile2:

15. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Dang Jeff Quit eating all the Bait!!!!!!:eek:oooh::smile2: