santte upper lake

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by copster, Feb 5, 2009.

1. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello everyone. i have been reading on these forums for a while in the rivers talk... i was wondering? i am wanting to take my dad out to santee lake where my grandfather used to rule this weekend but don't know what to do. i live in florence and i have been to the lower lake but don't want to drive that far with him. i have been reading about drifting for catfish. i have never done this but i want to learn... i want to go to the upper lake near the I95 exits. where can i go and what do i need to do so my dad can catch some fish? i have read that the fish are doing good in the channels with the driffting. so i am wanting to learn on the warmest day in febuary. someone help me make a good day for my dad. what do i need to do? i have a 15 foot war eale with tolling motor and all the corrrect rod and reels. i will buy what ever bait is the best. i just want to take my dad out for a good day. thank you in advanced for the help.

ps: i dont want a guide. my dad has allways wanted to learn on his own

:smile2:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well William you have picked one of the most difficult areas to drift it is very tight area with lots of stumps and snage. It is hard to drift to an experienced angler. If you dont own a drift sock too it will be hard to maintain your correct speed. But if I was going to learn to drift and didnt want to go to the lower lake I would stick with wyboo creek and potatoe creek. Lots of deeper water with out many snags and the trolling motor might be the way to go. Get you some 1-1.5oz slinky weights and about a 3ft leader with a 2"cork 6" from your bait with a 5/0-8/0 circle hook and some fresh cut gizzard or threadfin shad and you should be in buisness. If you have a GPS that will be greaty to keep your speed less that .5mph. I hope this answers your questions.

3. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    man that is great. what would be beter? going to the lower lake or upper? i will do anything that is the best chance to catch fish. if i go to the upper lake than where do i put in to get to the best hole? i can get to blacks camp landing to put in the lower lake, but where do i go? i have done a lot of research on these forums but i am confused. lower or upper??????????????? what to do to catch fish?

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Lower lake is going to be the best bet but with a boat your size wind is going to be a deffiante factor in either lake. Most of the fish are going to be down on the lower end of both lakes near the dam in the deeper water cause thats where the bait is. You can get bait at Blacks but the better fishing is going to be 10 miles accross the lake. If I was just starting out I would stop by Neds bait and Tackle at wyboo buy some bait and other things talk to him and listen good then put in across the street at Alex Harvin landing and fish wyboo around the mix where wyboo, potatoe creek, and the main lake come together. There is usually alot bait in this area and you can easilly hide from the wind and still catch fish.

5. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where is alex harvin landing? i will go there and get the bait. i dont know the area down there but i can figure it out. so what about the stump? if we dont do any good in those areas should we go to the stumps?

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Good luck, and great advice given above. Sometimes I hate giving my 2 cents worth, but be very careful assuming you're in a 1542 boat. It does not take alot of wind to make a boat that size get dangerous in a hurry. Capsizing or filling with water this time of year is nothing to play with

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    William
    I sent you a PM............there are blues above I95 right now and they are biting

8. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cool deal. i have not made my mind up just yet on where to go. i may just hit the dam and hope for the best. its supposed to be about 10-15 mph winds tomorow. may not be bad. i may just be able to drift down the canal.

9. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    also i called several bait shops and its hard to find good bait this time of year. i may bring some eel's has anyone used them?

10. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Eel works but I'd try to get my hands on some fresh shad or herring, or you can take a small rod baited with a tiny piece of worm and may be able to round up a few perch fishing on the bottom. 10-15 wind can turn the lake ugly and beyond dangerous in a smaller boat. The Canal is kind of hit or miss, with mostly miss and somewhat depending on outflow schedules. let us know how you do

11. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you can definately still catch perch now, and I think James was talking about Lil Nates in wyboo if you head that way. Robbie should definately have fresh bait, he usually keeps a pretty good supply on hand.

12. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Robbie should have bait for Saturday. If you are wanting to try drifting, come out of Wyboo to the main lake and go up the safeway markers to the right. Go all the way to the corner and turn left in the markers. The corner is a great place to drift on a southwest wind. Not alot of timber sticking up in that corner. Like everyone has said, be careful! Forecast on NOAA is 8-11 southwest. Most of the folks out of LILN8's monitor vhf 74 and are great about helping with info on the bite. Good luck and be safe!

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Canal Lakes had shad today, @ $9/doz. Nobody in Santee had any live bait, but were expecting some later today. I didn't stop anywhere else, on the way back from Santee State Park.

14. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have made a decision. i am going to harrys fish camp. there was a guy today that caught a 89 pounder within eye shot of harrys. i can go into the canal or the dam if i put in here. i will let everyone know how we do. thank you all for the help.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Not a bad choice. Harry's ramp is in pretty good shape; used it this a.m., actually. Business is slow all around the lakes, and if you wanted to spend the night, the rooms are 1/2 price. I don't know if they had live bait other than minnows, but the most likely will.

16. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    well just for the update... we wasted a day at the lake. it was a beautiful day but not a thing was bitting. we used fresh shad on the drifting rogs. we were in 25 foot at first in the channel then moved from the marker 44 to 48 and found a deep hole. this hole was 50-55 feet. we only saw one boat catch 1 fish. there were several around us all day. we drifted all over and nothing. we stayed there fro about 5-6 hours and then made a run to the lower lake. we went to the 15 thru the 20 markers drifting and nothing. great day to ride and hang out but the fishing was not there. i wanted to go hit the flats just to see if they moved but i did not get the chance. the water in the upper was 47 thru 52 degrees by the end of the day. o well i will learn one day how to get it right. but thank you all for the help that yall gave me. i will take this and learn from it.:roll_eyes:

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    William, thanks for the report, and I hope the next outing will be better for you. BTW, welcome to the BOC. I'm not sure I've extended a greeting before now. We all like to hear the fishing reports, good or bad, so bring 'em on! :smile2:

18. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    I have been drifting the upper lake for over a decade. There are fish being caught right now up there by freinds of mine. I am fishing the lower lake myself. You are picking a hard place to drift, but it can be done. I have 14 world records from that area of the lake. Now fishing up near I-95 if you are going to drift use a weight no more than 5/8 oz. that is all I will use so it will climb over styructure easier. Right now you can do go just going along the riverbed anchoring down an fishing the riverbed itself. I know of a 85 lb fish that was caught that way Friday. Friend of mine fished the riverbed Yesterday and did good. If you get out of the riverbed becareful because the lake is not at full pond yet.

19. Gradyfish

Gradyfish New Member

State:
    Ky
    That's why they call it Fishing,,,not catching!:wink: Don't get discouraged, I learn something each time I can make the trip down from Ky and I've been doing this for many years. Most any of the folks here will tell you the same thing. There is always the next time.

Look at it this way " A day spent on the water with family or friends is always better than a day spent at work"