Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of tacking the wife and 2 kids.most of my trips is nothing to brag about,don't get to enough to really find the good ones.so looking for a guide .would like to stay above state park.think my wife would enjoy the trees and floating flowers.not interested in the canal at all.want to stay away from the crowd.looking for any help, names ,or advise.i have enough rods four us .so i don't even need a professional,just some body that knows how to fish down there.thanks for any help....

· Registered
258 Posts
ive fish santee many of times the uper lake by the tree stumps and wood debry thats all in the water is good place to fish ive pulled a 44 lb blue out of there was nice nicght 37 fish in total i went with my neighbor on his boat

we did sum trout lines the following year and pulled 43 in one night

a good fishery

· Registered
35 Posts
My experience with him was not good. He was set up in stumphole woods and BeagleMan and I were headed into the woods to bream fish. Passed his boat with fishing party onboard. We set up in the woods, and I dropped a line out the back of the boat. Seems he had a line there too. I snagged his line, and as we were getting it loose he snatched it, and proceded to throw right back at me, not near me, but right at me. We were not set up really close to him, just that we were in the woods, where his boat would not fit into. We stayed in site of him for a while and could hear his party complain of not catching any fish. We were tearing up the bream and shellcrackers and his party did not like seeing us catch all those fish while they were not having bites. Not very long and shipple was thrashing around onboard, slamming rods around and all. A real class act in my eyes.*

· Registered
401 Posts
If you were fishing in close enough proximity to snag one of Steves lines , then you were too close. I know first hand that Steve Shipley is a very good guide with a lot of repeat customers and I would not hesitate to rec. him to anyone looking for a guide on Lake Marion.

· Registered
35 Posts
If you were fishing in close enough proximity to snag one of Steves lines , then you were too close. I know first hand that Steve Shipley is a very good guide with a lot of repeat customers and I would not hesitate to rec. him to anyone looking for a guide on Lake Marion.

haha i knew i would be bashed for saying that. We were not that close. we were in the woods where his boat would not navigate into. not very close. not targeting the same species of fish. all i had was light tackle. he was a prick. period. his charter was really upset they had to watch us catch a limit of shellcracker while he could not put them on the cats. I know what too close is. we were not too close I promise you.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
My experience with him was not good. He was set up in stumphole woods and BeagleMan and I were headed into the woods to bream fish. Passed his boat with fishing party onboard. We set up in the woods, and I dropped a line out the back of the boat. Seems he had a line there too. I snagged his line, and as we were getting it loose he snatched it, and proceded to throw right back at me, not near me, but right at me. We were not set up really close to him, just that we were in the woods, where his boat would not fit into. We stayed in site of him for a while and could hear his party complain of not catching any fish. We were tearing up the bream and shellcrackers and his party did not like seeing us catch all those fish while they were not having bites. Not very long and shipple was thrashing around onboard, slamming rods around and all. A real class act in my eyes.*
you were to close to his boat if you snagged one of his lines learn some respect for others on the water or unless you like getting nailed with weights

· Registered
35 Posts
you were to close to his boat if you snagged one of his lines learn some respect for others on the water or unless you like getting nailed with weights

sounds like a lot of little girls in here, not same species of fish, and we were only with in site of him, not right up on him. He clearly could not navigate his large boat in the woods. we were a ways from him. Sorry if you dont like my opinion of your fine fisherman.

· Registered
64 Posts
if you are fishing for cats in shallow water you dont put the boat on top of the fish he was casting to them and you stoped on top of him must people only cast about 50 to 60 feet maybe 75 i would have been mad to its not like the lakes not big so you could have found a spot beside where he was

· Registered
35 Posts
See it as you want to see it. he was no professional. You are quick to jump sides, maybe I did not tell it quite right. If you had been there to see it, I am sure you would have felt differently. I was in no way competion or on his fish. He was having a bad day when we came into the woods. We could hear them on approach. That was the first time we had seen him in that spot, and I had been fishing in there for a while at that time. purely it was an accident that my line snagged his, for that i felt bad, and the lead i felt as a joke. It was how he acted out towards his party that I am griping about. They seemed kind of spooked by his behavior. I have as much respect for the next boat, as they have towards me. We were well into the woods, not set up on the outside, next to shippy. I guess if you want a hot head as a guide, then that is your guy.

· Registered
756 Posts
haha i knew i would be bashed for saying that. We were not that close. we were in the woods where his boat would not navigate into. not very close. not targeting the same species of fish. all i had was light tackle. he was a prick. period. his charter was really upset they had to watch us catch a limit of shellcracker while he could not put them on the cats. I know what too close is. we were not too close I promise you.
Well now he knows your shellcracker hole-he can catch his bait there now:bulgy-eyes:Why would his party be upset?If they wanted to catch shellcrackers they wouldn't have hired a catfish guide.

· Registered
401 Posts
Ive known Steve and fished with him for years and have never heard a un-provoked cross word out of his mouth towards anybody. Especially if the fish are not biting.........that goes along with the territory. Now if he had a problem with a client on the boat, he may have put them in their place or even cut the trip short......something any other guide would do........but I assure you it wasnt because you were catching bream and he wasnt.

· Registered
35 Posts
Well now he knows your shellcracker hole-he can catch his bait there now:bulgy-eyes:Why would his party be upset?If they wanted to catch shellcrackers they wouldn't have hired a catfish guide.

I do not mind sharing my spots first off, and second I do not mind sharing my catch for catfish bait. I my self love to catfish. I catfish mostly on the Congaree here near the house. I also like catching them scale fish, so while they are biting I will be there a catching. When they slack off I will resume with the catfishing or whenever we have a good rising(flood) water on the river. I fish at least one day a week, and have fished all my life.

I am new to this site, and have not learned what is proper to say and what is not. I was just giving my opinion of a mentioned guide. I am sorry for offending so many of his followers. With time I should adapt to the rules of this site, unless I get band*. Had I known the response to my post ahead of time I would have just said what a great guy he is and that he would put you on the fish.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.