Santee Winter Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catmandosimpsonville, Jan 11, 2009.

1. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am in SImpsonville SC and fish Santee 10 times or so a year. Never in the Winter. Do any of you have any suggestions on where, how etc. I will be heading down this weekend, January 16. I am taking my son so ANYTHING help woudl be GREAT!!

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jim where will yall be putting in at and what areas are you familiar with. Oh yeah WELCOME TO THE BOC!

3. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    I have fished both lakes and the canal over the years, but moslty familiar with the lower lake. I usually drift mostly, Anywhere from marker 27 across and down to 5. Mostly and spring, summer and fall fisherman.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    If this cold holds as predicted find bait in deep water and birds (if you can) and drift cut bait and should come up with some fish. Bite has been little slow last couple days (at least for me) but should pickup in next few days. 5 to 14 Marker. Out in front of dam at Short Stay. Good luck. If bite is slow just keep moving stay with the bait pods.

5. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Jim.

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Jim, welcome to the BOC!! Stay in the lower lake and hit the markers 15-5. We have been catching some nice fish down there. Gizzard shad has been the bait of choice so try and find some of that. I usually get mine in Santee at the General store, that's on the way to the lake for me. Canal Lakes in the diversion canal had some two weeks ago. Hill's too. You may want to call around to find out who has bait available. Follow the bait balls and put a whupin on 'em!!:wink:

7. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the BOC :wink:

8. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    WELCOME

9. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    WELCOME TO THE BOC JIM FROM DARLINGTON SC!!

10. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    welcome glad to have ya

11. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Catman. I had also thought about Bigun Swamp. But may stay closer to the damn per you suggestion.ot maybe drift fro Biggun across to Bonneau. YOur thoughts? Are you going to be on the water this weekend? SUoopose to be a heck of a cold front coming in. Thanks for the reply and look forward to hearing back form you.

12. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    THANKS!! CRC you are just down the road from me for sure. Althoght I mostl;y only fish Santee. Never be able to fiqure out Hartwell :smile2:

13. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the welcome!! I am a lower lake only guy :cool2:
    Just not usually a winter guy. Are you suggesting drifting from the channel to the Bonneau and short stay side?
    How deep are the bait balls? Casting net dept?
    Thanks again for the suggestions?

14. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Marty
    How is Santee looking for this weekend? Any suggestions?
    BTW you kow Capt Leroy?

15. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    you gonna be down this weekend? Waht vhf channel and name?

16. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Did good two weekends ago. Several really NICE ones. Biggest 32 lbs.
    Anyone got a good fishing report for the weekend? I hear they are on and off betting if you find them up shallow, away from the dead bait. Any ideas?

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jim the Carolina Catman are having the 1st tournamnet down there this weekend at the Dockside rest on the Tailrace canal. You can either fish the Tailrace or Lake Moultrie. You oughta come on and fish with them.

18. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    If it were ANY other time of the year, I would. This winter Santee thing is very new to me, and have yet to figure it out in 3 trips. DOnt get me wrong I have fished Santee since the eraly 70's and do really good. This winter thing is kicking the old mans butt.:smile2:

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    A 32lber is far from a butt kickin!! :wink: I have been skunked :eek:oooh: that hurts!!!