Santee Tips

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by KatManDew, Aug 28, 2005.

1. KatManDew

KatManDew New Member

Anyone got any god tips or hot spots to share with someone going to santee for the first time? :0a23:

2. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Hire a guide! Most camps offer guide service. It will cost you $250-300, but well worth it. These lakes are big, wide, shallow, stump filled, and can be mighty dangerous in any kind of wind at all. Plus you'll learn some basic tecniques. If you are taking your own boat for the first time, I recommend the Diversion canal, either drifting and anchoring. Also, you might want to consider fishing at night in the canal or on either end. But first, go with the guide.....I think you'll find almost every Brother on this board that fishes Santee either has used or currently uses a guide. Good Luck. Let us know how you do.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Katman, you didn't say where you live, or what part of Santee Cooper you might go to. The lakes system is pretty large. ToonCat is right, a guide is a good investment, especially if you can split expenses with a couple of people. You should at the very least have a good chart of the lakes, with depth contours (Hot Spots is a good one). Lake Marion has a lot of stumps broken off just below water level, and even Lake Moultrie has its share of hazards.
    Do you have an area in mind? Someone can help, I'm certain.

4. KatManDew

KatManDew New Member

We do have a small boat, I was thinking about the Bonneau Beach area on the east side of lake Moultrie. is Marion a better lake ? :know-big:

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bonneau is an excellent area and you will be more likely to stay out of trouble on Moultie than the upper lake.Right out in front of Waddys Marina is some prime fishing water that ranges from 35-15 ft.Lots of shallow humps along side deep water.There is a long underwater island that goes from north to south in that area that has stumps etc on it.That can be a very good night fishing spot and you will be well within range of shore should a storm come up.DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH SANTEE IN A SMALL BOAT IF THE WIND COMES UP!!!!!!!.Get to shore if you see approaching thunderstorms and don't wait to see if it passes over or hope it passes over.The average depth of Santee is 12ft so any wind at all will whip it up and quicker than the blink of an eye.Make sure you have all your required safety equipment aboard.I think you will find plenty of good fishing in that area with a variety of depth.Good luck and give us a report.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tooncat, I will defer to Jim's advice. He is more of an expert on the lakes than I am, and I certainly agree with him on his post. There are lots of channels, some blues, and even an occasional flathead in there. There is a good public landing at Bonneau Beach, and I'm told there is an excellent diner down there with good home cooking daily, can't think of the lady's name right now, but it's almost at the landing. There is also a good public landing at the mouth of the rediversion canal at Russelville, near St. Stephen.

7. KatManDew

KatManDew New Member

I appreciate everyones advice... I am so looking forward to this trip, I work alot and don't get a chance to fish, I think I have fished twice this year.
    What kind of rig and bait should I use in this lake? :0a35:

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I would suggest drifting with a carolina style drift rig (run main line through the eye of drift sinker, bead, tie to swivel, then tie on a 3' leader with a 2" float about 1' from hook- this is the way I do it, anyway. All these can and should be varied to suit your style, and conditions). If the wind is not agreeable, you can also find some of the humps that Jim mentioned and anchor, then cast tight lines around the boat, with the same carolina rig, varying depths until you locate fish. Using this method, you may want to try an area for a set length of time, then move if no results.
    This is my idea, Jim may have something better to offer.
    Do you live in SC? When do you think you will be fishing?

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sorry, post #6 should have been directed to KatManDew, not ToonCat. Just a case of brain fade.

10. KatManDew

KatManDew New Member

Sorry I meant to answer that question, I live in Nashville...
    it's looking like my last day working will be Sept 4th so lets hope I have a line in the water by 6am on the 5th :0a23:

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    KAT, I used to fish Percy Priest for smallmouths and stripers every other weekend when I was stationed at Ft Knox.It is still one of my favorite all time lakes.Fished it at night mostly and it never quite gets totally dark because of the background lights from Nashville.Caught a 14 lb channel one night on a black grub while fish for smallies.I only used 6lb test line for smallies so it was a note worthy fight that lasted some time.Tenn has so many great lakes and rivers I'm surprised you would leave but Santee has a magic about it.Just don't raise your expectations to high and become disappointed.The first time I fished Dale Hollow I expected world record smallmouths to leap into the boat.Didn't take long for reality to arrive.Drift fishing is the way to go right now at Santee and if you can afford it a guide would be a very wise investment.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Katman, did you make it to Santee, and if so, where did you end up? Hope your luck was good.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, did you make it down to Basspro? I remember you said you were planning to go. Things were probably pretty crowded, with the holiday weekend and all. I need to make a trip over there, but it may be next week, now.

14. KatManDew

KatManDew New Member

We are here now but the weather sucks, the lake is to rough for the little boat we have -- anyone with a bigger boat thats wants some company let me know. :p :0a35:

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Katmandew, sorry about the weather. We can't control it, just have to adjust to it. This TS Ophelia is causing our current windy conditions.
    Where are you staying, and how many in your party? I don't know the size of your boat, but if you can't find someplace to get out of the wind, you might try the Santee River, just below the Lake Marion dam at Wilson's Landing, or at St. Stephen (Arrowhead Landing). There are shallow rock shoals there in some areas, but the fishing can be pretty good.
    Let me know and I may be able to direct you there if needed, although most folks in the area can give you directions, too. There is even some decent bank fishing in those areas.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy made it to BP but of course they didn't have what I wanted which was those snake weights.I called and found them by SKA # but they are low right now so I am buying all they have (within reason) but have to order them from the main store.MB was great, perfect weather and not to crowded.Had dinner at a good restuarant and all in all great 2 days.I did get some reel oil and grease at BP including some of that HOt Sauce which is supposed to be the best.Normally I use Penn on my Penn reels.In any case I have all 12 rigs ready to go for the tournament,new leaders floats hooks etc.Sharpened all the hooks just normal pre fishing ops.How is your spouse and you doing.Feeling better both of you I hope.There was a comment somewhere on here about catching a flathead in the brim beds on a cricket.One of the fishing reports from Randolphs said try for flatheads around the brim beds which is not normal Flathead terrain but makes sense when you consider their favorite food is all bunched up spawning so they would be easier prey.I'll have to remember that for the future.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, glad you had a good trip. It sounds like you are pretty much ready for the tournament when the time comes. You have the same problem that I do when I go to BP; seems like they're always out of the particular item I need most. With gas being what it is, I would probably save money to order from the catalog, but it is a lot of fun to look at everything in the store.
    We are all progressing pretty well, still. Feeling stronger all the time, just limited by lung function some, but able to do a lot more now, thanks.
    Regarding the crickets for flats, I may have mentioned that we used to drift the flats with crickets some years back and caught a lot of blues, an occasional flat or channel, and some monster bream, but after they killed the grass off, I don't do as well, for some reason.

18. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    We went to santee this year twice. The second trip was a rain check because of the weather during the first trip. We went down on Friday night and it was nice, Saturday morning we were supposed to fish. A cold front had come in overnight. It was freezing. We all had shorts and no jackets, It was in May!!! We had hired a guide(good idea first time). we fished about 3 hours when he offered us a rain check. We had caught 5 within the first hour and it was like somebody cut off a switch. There are a ton of stumps and stuff out there, if you don't know where you're going, you will tear up your boat. You'd be riding along with no trees anywhere and there is a stump sticking out of the water in the middle of the lake! We were on a 24 foot pontoon boat and couldn't go out in the middle the first trip because the wind was so bad it was whitecapping.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Whitecapping? Ha Ha pardon me for laughing but until you are looking up at the waves it isn't serious at Santee.Just kidding.It is a very dangerous lake and many have paid the price for being dumb.If there is any question in your mind about whether it is safe to be out there then it ISN"T!!!!!!

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    How about it, Katman? What luck did you have? I know the winds haven't been friendly.