santee this weekend

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kaleb5000, Mar 24, 2009.

1. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    A buddy and myself will be heading to santee and staying on the diversion canal im just wondering how the fishing has been in the canal. we will be fishing from fishing kayaks. what would you say is the best method for fishing the canal. I would like to try some drifting but have been told anchoring is better. we plan on drifting and anchoring and fishing from the bank when we need to get out and stretch our legs. any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Kaleb

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kaleb I would say that you better work on your paddlin skills cause the current in the canal has beeen smokin through there. I would anchor fish mostly on the very upper or lower ends of the canal in the falts adjacent to it.

3. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I hear if the currents movin good that gets the cats biting better. I am a avid kayak fisherman and paddle on average at least 15 miles every weekend sometimes that far in one day. I fish alot of saltwater here in NC and paddle against some pretty extreme tidal flow so as long as its not as bad as some of the stuff i have been in i should be fine we are probably gonna paddle from spot to spot and bank fish more then anything. Thanks for the heads up though

4. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    will do thanks

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kaleb I want to see you tied into a big old flathead in that kayak he might use you as a cork.J/K :smile2: Seriously though be very careful with the current but mainly the many Alligators that you will encounter in there. Some of them are right healthy and they probablly wouldnt eat you but.............................. I wouldnt want to find out.:wink: Good luck and make sure to let us know how you do.

6. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    wish you luck! i dont think you could paddle up the canal if they are pulling current the way they have been. be careful man, there are big alligators in there 2. good luck and hope all goes well. let us know how you do.