Santee Tailrace

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by big al 389, Mar 30, 2007.

1. big al 389

big al 389 New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Hello All,
    This is my first post here so again Hello to All!
    I'm new to catfishing so I have a questions that I hope someon e can help with.
    My son and I and a couple of friends are leaving for Santee in the morning and we will be staying at Harry's.We've been a few times without a lot of luck.Can someone suggest some places to fish and how to catch some nice fish?Also can someone tell me how to get to the rice patties and how to find catfish,what to look for for cover,what time of day works best,ect?As I said I'm fairly green around the gills when it comes to cats so any help will be greatly apprieciated!
    Thanks, Al

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the BOC.The most important question is are you gonna be fishin from bank or boat? Then we can point youu in the right direction.

3. big al 389

big al 389 New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Sorry,should have mentioned we'll have a boat.
    Thanks,Al

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Leave Harrys go down the canal.Go all the way to the end leading into Lake Moultrie.The last cut thru at the end of the canal on the left go in there.The water is anywhere from 2 to 10 foot.Anchor down and fan cast cutbait white perch, ocean herring (my favorite) shad, bream whatever you can get.The right side of the canal is the same way.Look for gradual slopes 2 to 4 foot 4 to 6 foot so on and so on.Try to anchor where you can cast to different depths.Give each spot at least 35 minutes then move a 100 or so yards and set up again.You might not catch a fish in some spots but you could move 80 to 100 yards and catch em.Shallow fishin takes patience but it will pay off.My buddy just got back and all the blues they caught where 18 to 37 lbs.If Brandon sees this he can point you in the right direction on the upper lake around Harrys.

5. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Allen there is also some good shallow water if u leave Harrys and go to the right toward the big island and u could also fish the shallow water outside of rocks pond u can see it on a lake map. I'll probaly go down next week end.

6. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you are at Harry's that is a long ways to the Cooper river(tail race). The tail race is below the dam at the lower lake Moultrie. The rice fields are down river, mostly on the right side. Be careful not to get stuck in the rice fields at low tide. If you stay in the deep channels of the rice fields you should be okay.Good Luck. Fishing at Harry's fish the shallow edges around the canal.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm a bit puzzled. Why is the thread titled "Santee Tailrace"?

8. big al 389

big al 389 New Member

State:
    S.C.
    The trip to Harry's wasn't a total bust,we caught a total of 12 fish,8
    Blues and 4 Channels.They ranged anywhere from 4 to 10 pounds all were caught in about 20 ft of wateron cut herring.We tryed shallow,deepand everything in between.We tryed the tailrace on Saturday with no luck at all.
    Thanks Al