Santee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shrimp Man, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anyone ever fish the Santee River? My small aluminum boat is under the weather, I used to catch some really nice cats there, Unless there pumping a lot of water I'd be scared to put this glass boat in there.
    Eddie

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do fish the Santee a few times a year. What part of the river are you thinking of? (Just saying "Santee" covers everything from the end of the Congaree/Wateree to the ocean - 'cept fpr the lakes, I guess.)

3. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    John,
    I'm sorry I did'nt tell you, I always fished below the dam, I put in at Wilson's landing.
    Eddie

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fished it once a few years back when the water was low. We went down river and had trouble getting back to the landing altough we could see the landing. Seen a few gators so didn't want to get in the water to get upstream. All we caught were Gar but I know they're some good cats down there.

5. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    dunno if we are talking about the same place or not BUT A Guy at work says they go below the lower lake in the river , said the banks are steep, stright down about 3 feet or more right agaisnt the bank ,,, says they catch some HUGE Cats casting out & letting the bait drift back agaisnt the bank

6. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thomas,
    Your right about the river being shallow, and it's that way most of the year, I used a 16ft. Bass tracker with a 40hp. When ever I would start back up river I'd have to have it on plain and even then in some places you could feel the prop cutting the sand, But to do this you have to really know the river, I hav'nt been there in about 3 years now, I think I'd have to float it a few times before I'd pick up the speed. But It's a great river, You can smell the fish whenever you get out of your truck at the landing. and yes to the Gators and Big Snakes.
    Allen,
    I am talking about the Santee river below the upper dam from lake Marion, The river your friend is talking about is the cooper river, and he's right It also has some very big cat's and some very swift current too, I beleave both river have some pretty steep banks.
    Eddie

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I thought I had posted to this thread already, but it must have gotten eaten up. haha
    That area just below Wilson's in pretty much solid limestone with a thin coating of sand on the bottom. It can be rough on a prop. :angry:
    The fishing can be good there, even from the bank. Lots of fish are caught downriver, too. I've taken my 17' keywest down through there when the water is up a little, but I don't go there much these days. A flat-bottom boat is the best way to go.
    I do sometimes put in at the landing on US52, but I'm not comfortable leaving my vehicle there (or a lot of other places, for that matter) at night, preferring to do most of my fishing in the daytime. There are also 'rocks' upriver from there. These rock ledges are real shallow and you have to either be planed off, like Eddie said, or tilt the motor up, at times to get through. I used to like going through there with someone not familiar with the river. When you are skimming over those places at top speed and look down and see bottom, it can be unnerving. :lol: Most of my fishing in the river is between the hwy 41 landing at Jamestown and upriver. All of the lower Santee has a lot of shallow sandbar areas, deep water on the outside of curves, lots of downed timber and trashpiles.

8. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do most of my cattin from Wilsons or the 52 bridge anld like Black Water says the 52 bridge aint a great place to leave a vehicle I have lost a few batteries out of my truck and bought a couple of new windows for my truck there as well. I always go armed at both places especialy 52 launch, I have had a couple times where people have started to act a little aggresive but if ya let ya shirt ride up and they see the butt of a 45cal 1911 stickin out of my holster they get real friendly and leave but as for the fishin ya cant beat it in my opinion.... enclosed are a few pics of cats from the river... Best place at Wilsons is just below the cable at night shine a spotlight in the water and you wont believe the numbers of cats ya will see down there... Dont worry bout the gators they dont bother nobody just dont understand why people are so scared of em...

9. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ooopps forgot pics...

Attached Files:

10. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Gary,
    Nice fish, I have never put in at the 52, I always fished from wilson's. Most of the time I would go down stream to the first deep hole, we've caught 30 to 40 pounders out of there, But truely there are cats all over that river. The only thing to ever happen to my truck at wilson's was someone drained my gas tank, when I was ready to leave at about 2:00am, I had to set there until the stores opened the next morning.

11. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    where is wilsons. i put in across from gilligans resturaunt. i didnt know if that is it. it is a small ramp and never had a problem there.

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I was warned some time back by local not to be caught after dark at the highway 52 landing. I also go armed with at 1911 but I try to avoid any place that would lead to trouble. Believe me after protecting yourself and then you are faced with paying attorneys for criminal and civil court you will be a much poorer person (even if you win?)

13. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    I ALWAYS Treat even the BIGGEST DUMB A@@ like they are Armed , I Smile & offer my help, Just as I would suggest they do too me ! In this Day & Time it just doesnt pay NOT to Arm yourself , The Law even Allows for it as long as your on your way Fishing !! ( I guess they knew it would always be a good idea to carry on the way to & From fishing !! )

You cant hardy read the paper & dont see a story of some innocent person being killed or beat up . I wish the law were as such that everybody HAD to carry !

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Wilsons is on the Santee river behind the upper lake dam which is called Wilson dam.

15. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nick, I sorry I don't no the road name or #, However if you go to Harry's fish camp, at there entrance keep following the road around to the right, This will carry you straight down the dike of lake marion, when you get close to the end the road will bare sharp to the right, This goes straight into wilson's landing, It is in the middle of no where, But with a small boat, it does have good fishing.
    Read blackwaterkatz post on the first page of this thread.

16. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    isnt the landing by Gilligans on the cooper river in monks corner???

17. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep your right, another good place to fish too, But when sce&g is pulling water, that place gets pretty swift.

18. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    never fished that area. i fish lake moultrie and the cooper river.