santee river??

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by nick81, Feb 22, 2009.

1. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    anyone been to the santee river / re diversion canal lately? wondering if the bait is starting to move in. I may go give it a try this weekend. thanks

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    :sad2: I was at several different areas from Jamestown up to the dam on Friday, and the fishing activity was extremely slow, judging by the response from several folks that I spoke with. Very few boats were on the water; most were at Hwy 52 landing. Bait fish and shad activity was really slow. The only water flow is coming through below the Santee Dam. Some of the commercial shad fishermen at Jamestown were pulling their nets due to low catches.
    We need higher flows to attract the shad, which is what the catfish follow upstream. Santee Cooper will not release any water through the St. Stephen generating station, except for a small attraction flow through the fish lift, and the fish lift is inoperable right now, due to a maintenance problem. If activity picks up, I will try to post.
    On a brighter note, the activity on the Tailrace at Moncks Corner seems to be pretty good.

3. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    went to the tailrace yesterday with 4 kids and the wife we caught 21 in three hours but they were all bucks not a single roe,but they all had a blast aint nothin like watchin the little ones fightin a fish.great day.when we got to the landing the dnr were checking all the fish and he told us that last week he measured a 27" shad the biggest he had seen in 5 years ,sure wish the wife hooked into him lol

4. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    i will be glad when my 5 year old can start catching cats he likes catching the bream out the pond i want to c him take on a cat

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Russel he is old enough. We will get him on 1 this year. Just make him leave it in the rod holder and crank away. My nephew has been catching that way for along time. I think he caught his first catfish when he was 4.

6. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We ended up getting some lines out at the rediversion finally Sunday afternoon, when the wind dropped to 20..lol. Won't bore anyone with the details of how the rods swayed in the wind with only a 3lb channel coming off of the night crawler set out for bait. On the Shad note, we did see a few jumping heading towards the lake we were fishing above the 52 bridge on the rediversion. I talked to a guy last week that had caught 4 or 5 shad below the lift, all bucks.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The fishing seems to have slowed a little over the past few days pretty much everywhere I've been on the rivers. Maybe the cold nights have slowed the migration down just a little. I was on the Cooper and Tailrace today; plenty of boats fishing for shad, but I didn't get to talk with anyone. Didn't see any caught in the short time I was there, though. I may be over on the rediversion again tomorrow for a while; see what's going on then. We've got a few warmer days coming up, and it might put things to moving a little more again.