Santee River @ Packs Landing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went down to Packs to fish the river on monday night. It was a nice night for fishing extremecatfihing pointed me into the right direction to a good night fishing. We didnt smoke them but we had a fair night with 10 fish. 5 were around 18-21lbs and the others were in the 10-15lb range. All were blues except one channel. We moved around alot catching some in the willows and some in the deeper water near structure but no real pattern to them. The fish bite has become much more agressive cince the last time I went which was only a week ago. We had fish load up the rods so hard you almost couldnt get them out of the rod holders and you think you have the man until you start reeling. All of the bigger fish were caught on live shiners and the others were on cut ocean shad. I was disapointed in no flatheads which I have yet to catch there but maybe next time.

2. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a fun night of fishing, Congrats on the catch.

3. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    thanks for the report. I'm planning on going to Packs Wednesday morning. Were you fishing in the River or the flats most of the time? Any tips will be appreciated. thoses are some nice fish you caught.

4. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a good night of fishing. Thanks for the report.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ron I was fishing in the river the hole time in shallower water near the willow trees. I should have probably went to the blowout to try the flats but never made it there. They were biting live shiners and cut ocean herring. I think the fish were closer to the middle of the river on the shallow side. Good luck and let us know how you do.

6. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    James thanks for the info. I'm still planning on going down Wednesday morning so I'll give them a try.

7. extremecatfishing

extremecatfishing New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    we had another great weeekend! the big boy of the weekend was 56 pound blue. it seemed kinda small compared to the 64 pounder last weekend. shellcrackers are now on the beds. we have weighed several over two pounds. the fish that weighed 56 had already spawned out. lots of baby cats should hatch out of that one! i hope everyone had a great weekend.. jody:big_smile:

8. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Thanks for the report Jody. Are the stripers biting good? I'm planning on going Wednesday and my wifes uncle wants to come with us and try to catch some stripers. Are ya'll fishing shallow for the cats? Thanks Ron

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have fished the upper Santee for a long time but I'm not up on the "blow out". I assume this is where the river has changed course before it gets to Lake Marion and turns left???

10. extremecatfishing

extremecatfishing New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    yes, you would be correct. i will help you find the fish. Stevy, Andy and myself will help you catch a boat load of cats and a few stripers.... Jody

11. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I was planning on coming up on good friday and try stump hole laning . woold it be worth maybee trying packs i've never put in over there.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have fished out of both and Jody(extremecatfishing) was very helpful and knowledgeable about where and how to catch fish and was more than willing to share info. They also carry plenty of live fresh bait. I would deffitnatly say put in at packs.

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Pack's can't be beat!!!! I'm headed down today and will be back tomorrow.

14. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Well wish me luck. Planning on heading to Packs in the morning. My wife and her uncle are catching some bream now in the pond in the backyard to use for bait and plan on getting some herring at Packs. Let me get back to loading the boat.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Good luck Ron hopefully the front want mess things up to bad.

16. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Thanks Chris the front might make it bad but have to go when I can but it will be better than going to work thats for sure.

17. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Just got back from Pack's (over night trip). I hope you have better luck than we did. We fished shallow, deep, willows, and flats. We fished with cut Herring, and live goldfish.

18. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    We didn't have a bad day but wasn't great either. We caught fish just all small ones. Caught all channels except for 2 baby blues. We kept four 3lbers to eat threw the rest back. We caught 1 fish on cut herring and all the rest came on Danny Kings Punch bait. had a guy across the river from usm catch a nice striper and saw some nice catfish in a cooler at Packs store. We fished from 8 am to 7 pm. Should have got ther earlier but didn't work out to get there early. Plan on going back the 14th or 15th. I'm going to try my best to learn to fish the river.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Ron. Were you fishing in the river, or out in the swamps? Kinda thinking of going up there tomorrow or saturday...

20. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Hi Tommy, Long time no see, Hope you and the family are doing well. We stayed in the river the whole time found fish just could not get the biguns to bite only had 1 big bite all day.