Santee River bound

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Ghost River, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Well me and the boys are headed down to the Santee River below Jamestown next week for the annual Trash Talking, No Telephone Ringing, "Man can my truck make it through that hole?", "Yeah but the boat's going to float off the trailer if we don't restrap it", Who bought this cheap beer, And were's the Chicken Bog- Catfish Camp/ Fishing Tournament. We'll be there from Wednesday till Sunday camping on the river. I understand that the river is way up. Arrowhead is at about 23 feet today and it's supposed to rain 2 inches through here tonight. This will be my first trip fishing the high water. I'm not much into cyber scouting but were can we expect to find the fish this time of year when the water is well above flood stage? I'm used to chasing the fish who are chasing baitfish during a 8 year drought. Usually they would be up about the Jamestown bridge right now and not quite to Arrowhead yet. Were should we start?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good luck with your adventures.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    sounds like y'all will have a good time even if you don't catch fish...probably only thing you will catch for sure is a BUZZ :lol: good luck and let us know how you make out.

4. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good Luck and Let us know how the trip was when you get back.

5. grantpwll

grantpwll New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Good luck in Santee River I live in Andrews and Im new to this site, but was wondering why no one has talked about Santee River yet. All I see is about Pee Dee River and the Santee Copper lakes. I was doing good with the Blues before the river came back up a few weeks ago. Ive fished one tournment that the Pee Dee Catmasters put on in Pee Dee River and I think some of them need to try the Santee River also cause it is alot like Pee Dee River.

6. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Grant, i fish the Santee River at Hwy# 52 and at hwy#41. I've cought the biggest at 52, but the most at 41. When we fish at 41,we gereally godn river about 1 to 1.5 miles there is a creek the comes in on the right and just about always catch good fish there at the sand bar to the right of that creek mouth. I have not been to the Santee River yet this year, but there in a couple of weeks.

7. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have checked out the "landing" at the bridge on 52 and all I saw was mud. I have also heard that it was a high crime area?? Has this landing being updated????

8. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Landing is paved and i personnally have never had any trouble there,but you never know? I have only fished there during the day, never at night...

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    From 41 which I believe is the Jamestown landing there is a great set of curves to fish up river. Now HWY 52 is the old Santee River, right? Is it deep enough to get a boat in there? I've never fished that area before.

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Does US 521 cross the Santee and have a landing under the bridge? I may have the wrong landing in mind. Maybe the water had been up and put mud on the pavement?? If you put in at highway 52 how far upstream can you go??

11. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    521 does not cross santee in the area that i am in, but i don't think it does at all.

12. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is all the same river from the spill way behind the dam all the way to the ocean. Check out www.sctrail.net this shows the entire run of the river with gps coordinates. you can fish 52 in a flat bottom boat just be carefull of the sand bars.

13. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can go up a good ways.You have to watch out for the rocks. There is alot of submerged tree stumps and the bottom is almost solid rock in places.There is a spot up river they call it the rapids. It is where the water is shallow and it splits around a little sand bar .There is some good fishing in there. I haven't fished there in a few years.I've heard that there is alot of break- ins at night at the landing. Good luck

14. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Sorry It's taking me till now to get back to y'all. I was involuntarily removed from the BOC for 2 weeks for asking an unapproved question about undiscussable tournaments, well 2 of them really. Basically I didn't follow the rules for proper posting. I was guilty and I just got out of cyber jail lastnight a reformed man. I have been keeping up with you folks though.

We came down to Jamestown, SC Tuesday night of the 20th. We checked Arrowhead Landing and the Jamestown landing on the way into town. The water was way high (5 feet above flood stageon USGS) and flowing hard. We spent most of Wednesday gettign our permit and setting up camp here http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=17&X=3170&Y=18405&W=1 . There were 5 of us fishing out of 3 boats. Myself and my partner Lo (Catman lo on the boc), my brother we call Wad, a friend of ours named Donnie, and my father-in-law who gave up drinking alcohol 35 years ago but drinks coffee all day, every day, like it's nector from the gods. We cooked a quick supper and hit the water. Myself and my partner, Catman Lo, took my truck and his worn out 20 foot PolarCraft with a Sea Ark console and a year 2006 Evenrude 75 horse E-Tech and drove back up to Arrowhead to try and net some herring for us all to bait with for a couple days. No luck. In all my calling around to ask if we would be legal to net for bait without commercial liscense, no one told us we couldn't take fishing rods above the train tressel of the rediversion canal until the man checking in herring boats at the landing informed us. WEll we sure weren't going to leave roughly $1000 worth of high dollar rods and reels in the back of the truck while we motored 4 miles up the canal to try and net fish when we know little about it. So we took some cut bream we brought along as backup and went fishing.

We headed down river as the sun was setting to fish the curves below Arrowhead. We went down about 3 miles and fished the inside bend of the horseshoe curve http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=17&X=1532&Y=9233&W=1 . No bites after 30 minutes so we mover up 200 yards, no bites again. We knew it was the bait. Folks you've got to bait with what the fish are feeding on and it ain't bream in the Santee River in late March, it's shad and herring. So we decided to go back up to Arrowhead and try to luck into a couple herring ( I always refer to the rediversion canal as Arrowhead because that is the name of the landing if you folks haven't figured that out yet). Well boys, the river swas flooded and I mean flooded. There are flats on both sides of it in that area. Trees and bushes growing in the shallow water. Well they are all under water this night. WE came out of one curve and got ourselves up on the flat. Luckily I told him to shut it down because nothing looked right about 5 seconds BEFORE we hit the tree under water that we still haven't seen. Luckily we didn't tear anything up and I only got banged around and bruised a little. We cranked back up and idled back to the main channel, were we barely got up on plain til be were back in the safety of the canal. It's about 10 o'clock by now WE didn't net any herring when we got there and decided to try and drift fish back down the canal. I caught about a 5 pounder which only gave us another hour of false hope before we loaded up and headed back to camp. The other boats didn't do anything either fishing the curves around the camp there. We fixed a blueberry dumpcake and a fresh pot of coffee, smoked another half dozen cigarettes and went to bed. So far I'm in the lead with 1 fish in an unfishable river.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the late reply, colt. I had been wondering what was going on. sounds like being suspended was the least of your problems, though. Glad you folks made it back in one piece. :lol: Seems like I told someone early on that the river was too high for good fishing. :wink: Price's Landing where y'all camped is some of the highest ground downriver. That riverbend you showed is also some good fishing, at least on normal water levels. I've caught quite a few nice blues and flatheads along there. Used to camp on the sandbar across the river (which was underwater when you guys were therre).
    When the water is high like that, the cats follow the herring and shad upriver to the dam on the rediversion. Fishing the canal can sometimes lead to lots of big blues, but there's never a guarantee. I hope you all get to come back again and have better luck next time around.

16. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    :lol: Yes sir I believe you did warn us about the high water that week. We already had it scedualed though and that was the only week we could all go during the prespawn. It was real high and at times real dangerous.

Tuesday evening we went down to were the N. and S. Santee split. This time we were baiting with cut american shad. The big, bloody kind. My father in law had one on but messed with him too long and he got in a snag. The only bites the rest of us got were from these little yellow nats that absolutely nawed us to death. It was so bad it was 80 degrees and me and Lo had put our gortex suits on and pulled the hoods up, chain smoking to try and get those things off of us. It was miserable for about 2 hours till the temperature dropped and sent them back into hiding. On the way back we got to the stright away before McConnells landing and saw a boat on the left hand side of the river. He was shinning a set of bouyes on the right side. LO said "whats that?" and I replied "some old boy working a trot line I guess" so we kept plowing. This dude starts bouncing his Q beam heavy and I'm thinking, "yeah dude we see it over there" Well 20 yards before impact we finally saw the bouyes for the shad net he was floating. WE slid to a stop sideways and was about 3 feet from it when we got it all back togeether. Well my brother was a few minutes behind us and did the same thing. Then my father in law comes along by himself in his pontoon and all but go it. The fisherman was using some kind of mickey mouse bouys through the middle ablout the size of beer cans and you just couldn't see them with the q beam on. WE get back to camp. cook anothe dump cake and talk about the moron who almost lost his net 3 times in 5 minutes. and went to bed. No fish for Thursday.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, look at it this way: You guys will talk about that trip for years to come! You had more things happen to you on this trip than a lot of people do in a lifetime; quick learning curve. :big_smile: Look forward to meeting you all on your next trip, maybe, and thanks again for sharing with us.

18. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    You haven't heard the half of it yet. I'm leaving for the beach with the wife and kids in a few minutes but I"ll tell you the rest SAT. night when I get back.

19. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Just got home from Myrtle Beach a couple hours ago. The bream are back up in the shallows on crickets by the way around Peachtree Landing. So where am I on this trip. Oh yeah Friday. Friday morning we roll out and start going through the old journals of where we caught fish before under similar conditions but we couldn't find anything for the Santee River when it was flooded in the spring. We've had a 10 year drought you know. So I decided my partner and I were going back to Arrowhead and try to find the big blues getting ready to spawn. I have never fished the Old Santee river, down from the landing but thought we'd try it. We bought a dozen herring and scaled and cut them into medium sized chunks (6 per fish). It was about 6 o'clock PM when we went up into the old river about a quarter of a mile. It looked real stumpy and smelled fishy to me :tounge_out: so we ancored down in the relatively still water and through them out. I quickly picked up a 4 pound channel up on the flat of the inside bend. Recast and 5 minutes later another 6 pound blue on the the same rod ing the same spot. I called my brother and said "WE're on the fish. Come on" He said "I'm about to get arrested. I'l call you back :confused2: ". Nothing else had bit in about an hour before my brother and Donnie pulled up in his boat.

I asked him what happened. Now we have always known that Jamestown, SC has only one means of income and that is the 2 officers that work the intersection there. So if you come into town you better obey the speed limit. This is the story my brother, Wad, tells as the truth and Donnie says is mostly right. They both said he was driving into Jamestown doing about 55 when he hit the 45 mile sign and slowed down. They crossed the tracks and pulled into the Kangaroo for drinks. They got out of the truck and were almost to the door when the officer pulled up, jump out of the car and screamed at them "get back in the car sir, NOW!" Wad said he asked what the problem was. Donnie said No, you asked him what his bleeping problem was. The officer says "You were doing 63 in a 45 and Wad promptly calls BS and asked the see the radar. The officer would not show it to him but said I he came to court the evidence would be disclosed then. I asked Donnie waht did you do and he said" I ran back to the truck like a little girl. He's got a badge, a gun, and he could ruin my world." Anyway the fine is for $185 I think. Since then he has called down there and tryed to talk to the Da and the Judge. The chief offered him faulty equipment if Wad would send him $230 something,CASH. Wad refused and threatend to file a complaint against both he and the officer. The chief informed him that when they got that thrown out Wad would be arrested for harassing a police officer (or something of that nature). Wad called him some names, the officer said "you can't talk to me like that" and Wad promtly called him everything but a free man in America and asked him if he'd ever seen "Walking Tall". I think they both hung up on one another about that point of the conversation. The DA called back later and offered him something for $246 that was no points I believe he is going to take it. Now I don't know if he was speeding or not. They both said he wasn't and I wasn't in the truck but when the office will not show you the radar and later says if you'll send cash they'll drop the ticket, something is definetly wrong here.

Back to the fishing. It was getting dark and the old Santee had no current because they were releasing water in the canal and the fish quit biting. It was getting dark so we went as far up to the trussel as we could get and still be legal. Wad was so made he couldn't even fish. He said he was going back to camp to drink beer and pack his stuff. No bites in 3 days and now he had a big ticket he (atleast in his mind) didn't deserve, he was going home. We'll me and Lo anchored ourselves almost under the train tressel. They were releasing water out of the damn and we slayed them for the next 4 hours. He almost caught up with me for total fish at one point but I pulled back off and left him before midnight. When one spot would quit for over 30 minutes we'd pull up and move between the next set of pillons and start catching them again. Nothing big but several in the teens. We kept 4 for the crowd to eat for supper the next day and threw everything else back. Instead of going back to camp we went to my uncles house (other side of Jamestown, not far from camp) and showered up and went to bed about 3:30 am.

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I used to live near Jamestown, in the area where your uncle probably lives. What is his name? I know all about the cops over there, too. They have new ones right now. The chief had been charged with spouse abuse, but beat it in court somehow.
    Good stories about the trip. Get back down soon, but drive carefully....:wink: