Santee River 5/18- 5/21

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigcatman0001, May 21, 2008.

1. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Went to santee this week and the wind was blowing hard on the lake so we hit up the river behind the big dam. Not much action for the big cats, but we were reeling in some 5 to 10 pound blues and of course to many gar bites to count. Also noticed alot of BIG !!! almost dead herring floating down river. Thats mainly what we caught the fish on.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Brad, those dead fish are primarily American shad and some herring that have died off after spawning. I was up there a couple of weeks back doing an investigation of reports and that's what I found. It's a normal thing this time of year. I also saw a lot of (live) catfish in the clear shallow waters below the landing, as well as a lot of gar and carp; sure was tempting, LOL.

3. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    We actually didn't see any of the American shad which is unusual they were all herring. We did see alot of fish in the shallows though. I gig in the river with a high pressure sodium light and there were small cats everywhere on the banks and of course tons of gar. Dont worrry though I only stab gar and carp for bait not the cats!!!:big_smile: