Santee Rig, what is it.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TOPS, Apr 8, 2006.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I just heard on Luke Clayton radio about the santee rig. They guide explain the rig but most of you members know ole Top, it is hard for me to understand the rig, can anyone explain the rig for me, take some pictures,if you can.:)

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Verlon, if you have the 2006 Infisherman Catfish Insider mag, they have some good pics of rigs. What some folks call the Santee rig is a basic fishfinder rig with some modification to handle the bottom terrain when driftfishing.
    The mainline has a sinker (either egg, or 'snake' sinker (basically #4 buckshot inside a parachute cord casing or shoelace, designed hang up less often), then a bead, above the swivel. To the swivel is tied a leader ~3' long with a 2" or 2-1/2" crappie float on the line (peg needs to be on the hook end, or the float may come loose), then a hook of choice; most use kahle or circles. The float is adjustable, usually located 6-8" above the hook. This keeps the bait up off the bottom, further reducing hangs, and putting the bait in the strike zone. Sinker weight depends upon depth of water and drift speed. Usually 1-2 oz is sufficient. The bait is drifted a roughly a 45 deg angle, or less, behind the boat.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Tommy, How do you get that para. cord onto the main line?:confused: :confused:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sorry, Verlon, I should have explained that better. What you do is place the main line through the swivel end of a snap swivel, then push the snap through one end of the parachute cord and snap it closed. The snap swivel only needs to be large enough to attach the sinker and close it (#5). Both ends of the parachute cord are already sealed to hold the lead shot in by heating them with a flame and pinching with a pair of pliers, etc. As soon as I can, I'll take a photo and post here.
    Note that this rig can also be made using a short piece of mono with a number of split shot clamped to it.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Top, according to what I've read on the web about the "santee rig", it is basically a fish-finder rig with a small crappie float on the leader, halfway between the main line and the hook. It helps keep the bait off the bottom about 18".

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I use a rig similar that Glenn Hood used on his video. It uses a pencil weight, barrel swivel, three foot leader and crappie float 6" before the hook. Its a deadly rig here on Lake of the Ozarks. See ya on the water!

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The only potential problem I see with that rig is if the sinker snags and you have to break it off, chances are that since it is not attached by a lighter test line, seems like all the other tackle will break off with it (hook, bait, cork, swivel, 50 lb. catfish). I use a 3 way swivel with this same principle in mind, but the sinker has a lighter (15-25# test) line attached between it and the swivel. Anyone else see this as a problem?

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you use the snap swivel as Tommy says the snap will open if the sinker becomes snagged,saving the rest of your rig.Some of the guides use those line sliders you can get from Basspro or Cabelas and that works equally well.The only thing with dangling the sinkers from a piece of line off a three way swivel ,is when you cast, and all the guides and the rest of us pretty much start out with a hard cast,the lines get tangled whirling through the air and I have never caught a fish on a tangled line.Keep in mind the Santee rig has been designed to be fished about 75 yards or more from the boat.:smile2:

9. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I didn't even catch that about a snap swivel, I was thinking a regual barrel swivel. Jim, you ever used a pop-up paternoster rig while drifting down there?

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    No never have but I am willing to learn something new if you think its good. Show me one if you can or describe it.:smile2:

11. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok here goes...
    You take 2 barrel swivels and slide one onto your mainline. Next tie the other one to the mainline. The first one slides up and down the mainline freely (Bead is optional). For the sinker line, I use 25# test. I tie this sinker line onto the sliding swivel, then take a big sliding cork and put it on. Depending on how far off the bottom you want to present your bait,you can use how ever many feet of line you want to. I usually use about 24" so it will be about 20" off bottom. Keep in mind when you put a baited hook on it will sink a little bit, so if you have your sinker line EXACTLY I finish this by tying a snap swivel to the bottom of the sinker line. I use a snap so I can change from pencil to pyramid, etc. Pyramid would be for anchored fishing. For the leader line I use 40-50# Berkeley Big Game. About 18" of leader line will do. Then tie your hook on (I use a Palomar knot for this, but whatever you like).

12. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I sent that post by accident before I finished it!

Ok here goes...
    You take 2 barrel swivels and slide one onto your mainline. Next tie the other one to the mainline. The first one slides up and down the mainline freely (Bead is optional). For the sinker line, I use 25# test. I tie this sinker line onto the sliding swivel, then take a big sliding cork and put it on. Depending on how far off the bottom you want to present your bait,you can use how ever many feet of line you want to. I usually use about 24" so it will be about 20" off bottom. Keep in mind when you put a baited hook on it will sink a little bit, so if you have your sinker line EXACTLY 24" from bottom the bait may not necessarily be 24" from bottom. I finish this by tying a snap swivel to the bottom of the sinker line. I use a snap so I can change from pencil to pyramid, etc. Pyramid would be for anchored fishing. For the leader line I use 40-50# Berkeley Big Game. About 18" of leader line will do. Then tie your hook on (I use a Palomar knot for this, but whatever you like).
    When you cast this out and it settles on the bottom, the big cork "pops up" the entire rig. That's why it needs to be of substantial size, in order to accomplish it's job. When you're drifting, the sinker keeps the rig on the bottom, while the float is holding your bait off the bottom in easy reach of the fish. Hope this helps!

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks thats very interesting.I think one problem although I hesitate to use the word problem is that again at Santee we tend to have a lot of line out, 75 yds or so.That will 'Flatten" your line somewhat which will negate the effect of your cork or float.You don't want anything larger than a crappie float or it gets hung up to easy.With the traditional rig the soft slinky weight will crawl over a stump or build up tension until it pops over pulling the float,hook and bait with it.:smile2:

14. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yea Jim I forgot to mention that it is primarily a river rig, better suited for current than drifting. The article I read did mention it would be applicable for drifting, but did not go into too much detail. When we went drift fishing at Moultrie, I think we let out over 100 feet of line...just enough to where it was barely comin off the spool. Man I am ready for MMD! Hey what's the best way to get to Harry's coming south on 95?

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well there isn't any easy way but I turn off at the Manning exit and go straight thru town on 521 to 52 right on 52,to 45,there will be a fork just before 45 crosses the canal with a big sign that says Harrys.It seems to take forever to get from Manning to Harrys but an hour or so should do it.A lot of times I will pick up 52 at Florence and go in that way.Its mostly 4 lane and seems to be a little quicker.I will see you there but I wont arrive until 0600 Sat morning.It shouldn't be hard to find you as you will be the guy with the long face now that you realize this will be your last I don't have to ask my wife if I can go fishing trip.:big_smile: LOL:crazy: :roll_eyes:

16. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I can see you like that fact that I don't mind you pulling my chain about that. I just hope you are wrong...LOL! Hey, as long as I leave my checkbook with her, she should never complain about anything. Not that there is alot of money in the account, just that she can pacify herself with it while I'm gone!!