Santee Report 9-25-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by MUDHOLE KID, Sep 25, 2007.

1. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Well myself and Brad(Catchaser) returned from a 3 day endurance run at Santee. We had ourselves a blast. We fished 2 days before we figured out what to do. They pulled water through the canal the first two days. Brad caught a 35 pound flathead in the canal(picture) and that was is for big fish. We caught several fish in the canal, no size to the others. We thought things would work in the canal with the current and all, wrong. We new we had to make a change so we went out in the upper lake( in the middle ) and tried to fish Sunday night. We set up and began to catch fish first thing, then the winds came. We left, not knowing we were on to something, we just did not want to battle the wind. We went back to the canal to get shelter, no fish,the winds layed so we went out a little ways in the upper lake and caught a few fish before morning broke. Monday morning we comitted ourselves to the upper lake for the lastnight, no matter how bad things got. We left out at from Harry's at 1p.m. on the last night and went back to the upper lake, out in the open and we were at the mercy of the lake. Set up on the first hole and instantly started catching fish, we sat that hole 8 hours, yes 8. After cooking fish and having a great boat fish fry and a sandwich, we made another move at 11:30 p.m. We sat up on another spot within sight of the last and again started catching fish. We sat that hole till daybreak. I think the total of the 2 hole Monday night and Tuesday morning was about 15 flatheads and 7-8 blues and 10 long nose gar. We were out of bait come morning, which was fine by both of us because we were totally spent. We was down at Harry's by 4 p.m. Saturday and we left Tuesday by 9 a.m. with a total of 51 hours on the water, yes 51 hours. We stayed in the room a grand total of 8 hours. So thats why we named this trip the Santee Endurance Run. We never gave in to defeat and was bound and determined to catch fish which we did. The landing at Harry's is bad to say the lease. I busted the winch rope and pulled the hook of the front of the boat in which you hook the winch hook to. Bad. I want to give my partner a hats of , he hung in there with the ol' man and we had a wonderful trip, just a blast. We caught over 200 pounds of fish Monday alone, so all in all we had a blast of a trip. I've been going to Santee for over 20 years and this is by far the be flathead trip I've had. We decided Tuesday morning our next trips to Santee will be flathead fishing trips. I believe they take less heat than the blues. By the way, every fish we landed was released back to the lake within minute ( except dinner Monday night. I'm going to post a few of the phots, but we took so many I'll just post up a few of the best ones.My thanks go out to all you men that gave us a heads up on the lake conditions. The water is low and the lakes are tricky, so be carefull out there.Thanks again Brad, can't wait till next trip. GET DA NET !!!!!!!!!!!! He's A Good'un!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Few more snaps, a few to come

Attached Files:

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Hers one of the boat as we try 4 times to get it on the trailer at Harry's then just gave up and went to bed

Attached Files:

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    good job guys,those are some good ones,i know you 2 are spent,those are some long hours,looks like it was well worth the time though,congrats,hope they are still biting good this weekend during the catman tourney:big_smile:

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Great catch Joey, thanks for the report.

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Just a couple more and I'll save the restJust look how fresh the ol' man looks and then look at Flathead Flex,Looks a little under the weather. Huh What Huh, Which One Huh Huh, What!!!!!You Craz------E

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  7. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    An endurance trip is was! That is the longest I have ever fished in 3 days. 10 hours of sleep is rough even on a young feller! I had a great time, and will be a trip to remember for sure. We are ironman fishermen! Thanks for all the laughs Joey! I woulnt be surprised if you slept in that sleeping bag tonight out in the boat in the driveway:smile2: I couldnt believe all those flatheads. Bait of choice was definetly bream. When those flatheads bit they didnt mess around. I think its about time for me to go crash........I think or am I still supposed to be fishing?:confused2:Again thank you Joey, for a blast!

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Suitcase , Brad , Suitcase...I'm still under the influence of AMP and lack of land. I'll heal tomorrow. Now I know how astronauts feel

9. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    you aint right, hey " if you want to get on some big ones just go down to the cut through just below Hills, I know where a man hung a big un off the bank"!

10. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Great catch, glad someones catching fish with the water conditions the way they are down there.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Now that's what I call a fishin' trip!!!! Way to go guys, and glad that you got into some good fish :smile2:

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great report fellas sounds like your arms should be sore. Those flatheads seem to be feeding hard. Cant wait to get back myself.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for a great report and pics, Joey. I'm glad you guys made a good trip. :big_smile:

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    That is a good report. Sounds like your hard work paid off!!

15. "i don't care who you are"... thats good fishin!
    i bet not many other people on marion w/ the water 6 feet low.
    Congrats guys.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for a great report. Glad your hard work payed off - way to stick with them!

17. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Sounds like you had a great trip Joey. Sorry to hear about the boat, hope it want take to much to fix. But I guess it just goes along with the excurison!!

18. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    That's right Steve, with over 400 miles driven and all that time on the water and the conditions, that's minor. I can fix the boat with a little effort. That's just another reason to add a check mark beside this trip. The only negative thing was the gar. They reeked havoic on our bait supply. They killed alot of it, but they kelpt us on our toes. I caught my first black gar, I don't know if it was a spotted,longnose,alligator, or what but it was black and nasty.(picture). So yes you're correct, if you're gonna fish, you'll have stuff hap[pen. Just deal with it. Fishing is suppose to be fun, so when you stop having fun you need to have a reality check.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
  19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Man, 51 hours is really intense. Looks like it really paid off! Nice pictures too.

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Team Flatmaster Flex stikes again.I hear ya boys.