Santee questions?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by breadboy, Jun 23, 2008.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anybody been fishing santee lately? I'm going there next week and will be trying it out. It will be my 3rd time down there. Any advice and suggestions are aprreciated. How deep are you catching the cats as well? I'm not asking for spots but if anybody has any they dont mind sharing i wouldnt mind them lol.

edit: I forgot to mention I will be staying at Blacks.

2. greenwoodfaithful

greenwoodfaithful New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Was there last week and seemed to do the best around marker 71-75. Drifting perch between the forest and the river channel. 12'-17' was the primary depth of the fish we found. Fishing was better Wed to Sat. morning. Biggest being 26lb and brought back 42 total fish. Seemed to run from 8-15lb on average. After the evening showers, some fish was caught as shallower as 3ft dragging cut perch on the flats near the shore and islands. We put in at Indian Bluff landing and never went lower than marker 71. We tried the Old Santee Sunday night, fishing until 3:00am without a bite and also fished I-95. Dragging the flats and drops between the power poles. Caught only four fish in four hours. All and all pretty good week for our standards.

3. Giant SC Cat

Giant SC Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try around the old brick yard was there a week ago and caught two 28 pound blues!! hope u catch all u want !!

4. craigfsh1

craigfsh1 New Member

State:
    mo
    going to santee for the first time in aug. fishing for big cats. can anybody tell me whare the best place to go.

5. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can't tell you best place or best guides, but hunt for cajun guides, they did me well.

6. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Keith I fish mostly the lower lake. At this time I have been catching them in about 25 to 30 feet of water.
    There is a guide here on the BOC Capt. Ron Howard who I am sure could put you on some fish. I would give him a call. Here is his contact info.

I hope this helps

Jim

Contact Info:
    Phone: 704-739-5076
    Cell: 980-522-1749
    E-mail: Rhoward4@bellsouth.net

7. stalker

stalker New Member

State:
    sc
    Hey man im no expert on santee but ive been there a few times. The canal is always a good option try around the rock piles around canal lakes or just about any where you can find structure. The only other places i know are around cypress trees i about 2 to 5 feet of water. Try to find clam beds around the tree thats a plus. Im heading there tommorow i will post any info and pics if we catch anything. Hope this helps....:cool2:

8. craigfsh1

craigfsh1 New Member

State:
    mo
    I was wondering what the best bait to use for night fishing is. We will have shad and herring. Does night crawlers do well?

9. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You'll catch some channels on crawlers and they like the stink baits too, but the better choices for big cats will be bluebacks which should be available locally (always available in the upstate, but can be scarce around Santee sometimes). Fresh is way better than frozen, and live is even better for the flatheads at night. If you don't have a bait tank (get one soon) but for now put them in a zip lock bag and on ice but keep the water drained off or they will get soggy. Bream and perch are good too, if you can catch them. :big_smile: