Santee on the 4th

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jim, Jul 5, 2006.

1. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Had a great week end fishing Santee with my son and daughter in law who is 7 months pregnant but won't stop fishing!Caught fish up to 20lbs but it was hot and lots of boats buzzing around.Much better fishing at night and Sat night we were treated to a continous fireworks display by all the towns surrounding the upper lake.The fish are scattered and you can catch them just about anywhere.Fished with a guide Mon and only caught 4 fish!!!He was probably the oldest of all the active guides and kept us totally entertained with stories of the early days at Santee.He related how he used to fish for the big stripers when they were first discovered with a 14ft Calcutta cane pole.I thought he meant rod but, no,he meant cane pole with 14 ft of 80lb squidding line on it and they free lined live shad.He said it was a hell of a fight and I'll bet it was.They used to catch 30/40lb stripers that way but he admitted they killed off all the big fish and now there isn't much caught over 20.He knew Roland Martin when he was a guide after Roland got out of the Army and quite frankly he didn't think much of Roland.We had a great time Mon night with Roundhill,Chris Blue, Blackwaterkatz and others that showed up for dinner at Harrys.Really great to meet fellow members and Ron thanks for dinner as he graciously payed for all of us.He was taking Chris out to night fish so I hope Chris was pulled overboard by a big one and can't wait to hear the report.Great to have my son and DIL back from Korea and they are stationed at Ft Stewart so we will be able to fish an awful lot.New grand daughter is due in Sept.Herring seems to work best with White Perch second.:smile2:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great story,can't beat getting out fishing with family.Catching a few makes it even better!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ditto on the good company, Jim. I didn't get a chance to say so, but I've met John twice, and his wife once, and I am really impressed with both of them. The seem to be really great young folks, and I know you are anticipating that new grandchild. Maybe you all can get out again before the baby gets here. :wink:
    I haven't heard from Roundhill or Chris, maybe they're still fighting that big one! I hope Ron doesn't have too much of a negative effect on Chris. He's too good a guy for that. LOL
    A great time was had by all...........until next time.........

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    first of all i whould like to thank the boc becouse if not for it i could not meet the great people that belong to it.tommy cris jim an family i had a great time dinner was good the conversations wer better and very informative am looking forward to the next time so just let me know i will be thear any time any place. ps cris cought a blue but ill let him tell about it hope to see you guys soon.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

makes me wish I could have come. maybe next time. If anyone is intrested PM me and I will give the name of a very good guide that I have used and he has a 100 lb guarentee are no pay.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ron thanks again for dinner and it was great fun .Are you still going to fish the Tourney on the 29th?I think you said it was a night edition.:smile2: Jon and I would be honored to fish with you.I can just drive down Sat morn and we can scout a little or rest up.I'm sure you will be more comfortable using your boat and gear so I'll have to adapt to baitcasters again but that isn't any problem.:eek:oooh: We will pay the entry fee ,gas ,bait etc,and bring sour mash as required.:lol: Let me know and I'll start the ball rolling,its going out of Blacks I think you said?:smile2: