Santee- looking for a place to stay Memorial Day Weekend

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ghost River, May 2, 2007.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I'm trying to find a place for us to stay at Santee for Memorial Day Weekend. We started with Harry's. They're booked. Next Black's, booked up. Called Randolphs- booked. I'm out of ideas. Here's what we need- cabin(s) to sleep 8 people from friday night til Monday morning with AC. WE've got campers but I'd say it would be pretty miserable to fish all night and try to sleep all day in the back of a truck when it's 90 degrees. I'm almost as tough but not nearly as dumb as i used to be.

I'm not looking for advertisements just suggestions on the other places that have decent facilitys to stay at. Moderators I don't think I'm breaking any rules but if I am- sorry.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Colt
    Try Canal Lakes, they have two big houses that they rent out that will sleep at least 12 people. they also have a great rest. on the premises

3. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    you may also want to look into renting a house on the lake. a few houses in the Eutawville area rent fairly cheap. Short notice and a holiday weekend might make it tough to find anything. unless you are dead set on fishing the lower lake there are plenty of hotels in Santee that are cheap as well

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to www.santeecooper.com and you can find a list of all the camps and accomodations but I have to tell you that you should book for the holidays 2-3 months in advance.Most of the camps have folks and families that return during those times year after year.There are always some cancellations and you might get in by showing up on Sat and asking.Wouldn't count on that though.Who else is going to be down for Mem Day?I'll be at Harrys sat-tues.:big_smile:

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    We were planning on going to Harry's but I bet we'll end up reschedualing. Thanks Jim.

6. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    You could also try Polly's Landing they may have something but it is on the Upper end of Marion. If you gonna fish that weekend you better be going at night. That lake will be packed with pleasure boaters and drunkards of all types during the day into the eearly evening. The state park also rents cabins but that is likely to be full. Staying in the city of Moncks Corner is also an option down on th elower lake. Nighttime is the ticket though. It will be amazing the amount of boats on that lake over that weekend. Be legal to as the man will be out filling the pockets of the state with big tickets. Heard a 70 year old man and his wife got a 400 dollar one at StumpHole last week for 4 bream over the limit. Heard his reply was limit, this is how many I will eat until my next social security check comes.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    HEY HEY HEY I resent being called a pleasure boater!!!!:lol: :eek:oooh: Trust me If you think night time offers any solace you haven't been around the canal or in front of Harrys after dark.One of the channel markers is missing in front of Harrys because TWO drunks decided to settle the issue of which boat was faster at 2 am.Still, on a calm night with a moon up all those lights look just like Coney Island and are pretty to see.Be just as careful after dark or more so because at least you can see the other guy in the daytime.:eek:oooh: :smile2:

8. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jim,
    I've rented the last 10 rooms Harry's had, so I'll be down there again this year. Missed you last year, I think I was out catching perch for bait when you came by. Look forward to seeing you this year.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Daniel I think I have room 5 but I might be busy whoopin the guy what called me a pleasure boater!!!!!!:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: Drunkard I can relate to but PLEASURE BOATER now thems fighting words!:smile2: :big_smile: :eek:oooh:

10. CatManDrew

CatManDrew New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We've stayed at Rocks Pond the past two times we went. We like it bc its closer to the 95 bridge and we always spend a day or two up there fishing. You can also net bait off the peer or in the little "water roads" that lead up to the cabins.

11. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Perhaps I should clarify "pleasure boater". Pleasure boaters ride up and down the lake with no obvious destination. They could care less if someone is fishing if you are in the intended path they will ride right beside you while looking at you and throwing up their hands. Now I have done much of this myself especially if I have the family and I need to ease my mind with a proper oat soda or in the case of a rough day- Canadian sour mixins. But when I see a man fishing I kindly veer a little so as not to disturb sais fellow brother. On memorial day it will be loaded with thousnds of these people who will be constantly up and down the lake with no care to anyone. If you are going to fish you either need to go super early or later in the evening or swamp type areas. The main lake and the canal will be fuul and very turbulent. Now the bright side is if said boaters have some lovely specimens on the front that can ease the frustration of being bounced around and is the reason I carry a nice set of binoculars in case I need to get up close and personal with two nice fish.

12. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina

To be sure you won't be busy whoopin someone all weekend? LOL That leaves no time for fishing!! Anyway I'd like to meet you finally, and possibly get you to tell me where you catchin all your big fish at!!!! LOL Where you think will be better, Marion or Moultrie?

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The good thing about Marion is u can go out into the stumps and avoid MOST of the pleasure boaters. Of course everyonce in a while one of them will stray off the beaten path and remove his motor from his boat at about 50 miles an hour. Good luck and leave some for seed I will be there on the week of July 4th and cant wait.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Moultrie will be good for drifting but I think the blues will be up shallow still spawning.You should be able to kill the channels though.I want to try and get up with the flatheads so I will probably fish Marion more.:smile2:

15. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I think you are right about the blues will be spawning. All the blues I caught Wednesday night up at Packs landing were full of eggs.

16. SHELLCAT

SHELLCAT New Member

State:
    Georgetown,S.C.
    Hey-Canal Lakes Resort and Rocks Pond are two of my favorites for sure-spent many a holiday at Rocks Pond when the kids were young-About two years ago stayed in one of the big houses at Canal Lake Resort-had a great time-Good luck as i can not get to the lake until July when i leave from Afghanistan-am dreaming now-have fun.

17. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Poplar Creek Landing have mobile homes with AC for rent but they might be booked.(803-897-2811) ask for Donna or Elston.