The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our “spring break” trip to Lake Marion wound up being postponed to the end of November.

My dad will be joining us for this trip, so I’d really like to put him on some really good fish... just to show him that my wife & I are not TOTALLY crazy for making our semi-annual trips down there.

I haven’t seen any recent reports, so I’m asking for a few tips on how/where to get started at this time of year. I don’t want anyone’s secret spots... just an idea of the type of area we should target.

I’m pretty familiar with drifting the flats near I-95 (from the State Park down to almost Eutawville) with cutbait & stinkbait. Typically, I’m looking for depth changes and 15-20 feet of water. Is that a year-round tactic, or just spring through early summer?

I also understand that striped bass season is open. Do they like the same depths & baits as the cats?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
733 Posts
We used to go in early December every year,
We didnt drift though. We would anchor fish. We would catch fish from 30' to 5'. Kinda have to look around for them. Caught a few striped bass on cut bait along the way.

Reactions: crcanter

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Steven. We're planning a week-log trip, so we should have plenty of time to look around. I have a few new places in mind that I've located on a "Fishing Hot Spots" paper map, but... there's an awful lot of water to cover! It's not at all like my home stretch of the Ohio River.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump back to the top of the new posts.

I’ve found a couple articles online about November fishing on Lake Marion & Lake Moultrie, but some recent local knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more bump to get this up above all the political posts.

We’ll be fishing next week & I’ll be sure to share the results... good or bad.

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
Good luck with your upcoming time on the water Craig. Hope the weather is decent and you catch a few. This is a fishing site,,,,, after all.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Traders Point, Indiana USA
2,126 Posts
Best of luck Craig, i look forward to your report and pics of big fish!

And a BIG thanks for keeping this thread bumped!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Tom. I’ve been tracking the weather forecast for weeks now (even though I know they can’t call it that far ahead!) and the long-range forecast changes daily. The trend does seem to be for a decent warm up after this cold spell. We’ve got all week, so there “should” be a couple decent days!

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
Great to hear. Stay safe while on the colder water.

Like Eric, looking forward to hearing and seeing how your week went.

tight lines

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a fishing report to float this back to the top & above all the political threads!

So far, so good. We hit the water at 7 am & had my dad on a really good fish by 8! Unfortunately, the fish won that fight before we got to see it... broke the 30-lb Big Game leader after about 15 minutes of back-and-forth. That was all it took for dad to understand why we like coming down here so much!

The rest of the day was slow, but what we lacked in quantity was made up in quality.

Dad boated the first fish; an 18-pound blue that hit a piece of garlic-salted carp fillet.
IMG_5306.jpg

My first fish came a little before noon on cut skipjack; 12-pound blue.
IMG_1606178262.596439.jpg

We thought they were turning on, when this 26-pounder hit the skipjack steak about 15 minutes later...
IMG_1606178418.018134.jpg

Instead of turning on, they slowed down. A little after 4, I finally got another hit. This time it was a 15-pound blue...
IMG_1606178595.740548.jpg

All fish were from 16-19 feet of water (but dad’s hit the freelined carp chunk... maybe a foot or so below the surface). Two hit lines with the cheap demon-dragon knock-offs & two hit styrofoam floats.

It’s going to be about 38 degrees in the morning, so we’re thinking tomorrow will have a later start! Hopefully, we’ll have plenty more to share this week!

·
Premium Member
Eric from Traders Point, Indiana USA
2,126 Posts
That's a good day there sir! I bet you guys are still talking about how big the one was that got away.
When you say freelining a carp chunk a foot or so below the surface, were you anchored or dragging? Just never heard of that particular presentation and I'm curious. Thanks and good luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let’s just say it gets bigger every time we talk about it! I know there’s some real monsters in this lake.

We’ve got the whole week, so maybe we’ll get another chance to put it in the boat.

We drifted all day. We kept marking fish at all depths, so dad decided to put out a bait with no weight or float. Judging by the angle of the line, we guessed that he couldn’t be more than 2-3 feet deep. Maybe there’s a better name for that, but freelining was the best I could come up with.

That fish smashed his bait like a bass hitting a topwater plug! We thought it was a striper at first, and it even fought on the surface like a bass.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
733 Posts
congrats on the success so far. Cant wait to see more.

Did yall fish after dark?
Weve had some good success anchored for a hour or two after dark.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wind out of the NE this morning and barely 40 degrees. We tried to go out from the camp, but the waves were a little more than I wanted for our Bass Tracker, so we loaded up & trailered across the lake to some more protected water. Started our first drift at 9 & had our first eater of the trip within a few minutes. Hopefully, this will shape up to be a good day.

@Thunder head, we’ve never done a night trip here. The mouth of the cove where we stay is right on the river channel & looks fishy. We will probably give it a try some night.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a difference an hour or so makes on this lake. The wind has stopped completely. We’ve been power drifting with the trolling motor for an hour now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
catching gizzard shad with a cast net is my best bait.... don't overlook using white perch and bream for bait... especially the head parts.... and you just have to experiment with chicken breast.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the tip! How would I look for white perch? Any particular baits & kinds of spots to find them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
white perch are everywhere... they are the lakes biggest nuisance fish... they can be caught anywhere that bream can be caught with red worms... even with beetle spins... jigs... any type of small artificial bait. You can probably catch them while your drifting along, by hanging a baited hook or baited shibekki rig over the side of the boat... a couple feet off the bottom. Here is a video when Kayak Catfish came over here last year and ended up winning his tournament with white bass bait.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also did cat catfish on chicken breast the one time that I tried it... but after watching catfish dave's test... i'm going to try it some more soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts