Santee in Late October

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by kaccat, Sep 13, 2005.

1. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Just joined the new site and there's a lot of helpful info there - a group of us usually go to Santee in the spring, but this year we are planning to go back down in late October. I live in Virginia and we have pretty good equipment (22' Crest pontoon, etc.), but we don't fish Santee enough to know where to go, especially in the fall. Can anyone help me out with some tips or locations for this time of year?

2. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

You can't beat Black's Camp. It's situated just off the diversion canal in Cross,SC. They have a full service campground, restaurant, and hotel if you need it. October is a great time for cats in either lake, so you may need to reserve your space well ahead of time. Good luck fellers.

3. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Thanks for the info - we've stayed in the canal a couple of times in the Spring and heard go things about Black's.

Can anyone tell me if the cats still moving back and forth from the deeper water to shallow this time of year or are they more likely to be in deeper water? I haven't fished in the fall before and I'm not sure what the pattern would be.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you go to Blacks talk to Kevin Davis the owner and a guide.He will give you good honest information on the fishing.It would well be worth it if you can to fish with him but he only guides during the week.In late Oct the water is cooling down and the fish will be concentrated on medium depth structure as usual but also in the deep holes.Flatheads are usually active ,striper fishing is getting better and better that time of year so it is hard to go wrong.Drift fishing the lower lake is still very good also.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm heading that way in early Oct .,myself.I love the fall fishing down there.I'll probally stay at Harry's this trip.Gotta call and get me a room,I hope it's not too late.Gotta make sure my nephew still wants to go first.I'll know tonight.I'm ready :D

6. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I'll be at Blacks this weekend fishing canal at night and lower lake in day. I'll have a report posted by first of next week.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mudhole Kid, let me know before you come down. I'd like to meet up with you while you're down, if possible.
    Same for you ToonCat. There'll be a full moon Saturday, I think, rising near dark. It will be interesting to see how your fishing goes night vs day.
    This wind (Ophelia) should be settled down by then. I may try to go myself. Started out today, but had a turn of bad luck, and ended up coming home without fishing, but that's another story, LOL.

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'll do.I'm going to post up the week before we come down to get a report.I'll let you know.

9. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I'll be in a 16" pontoon painted up with an alligator on one side and a catfish on the other.

10. big "E"

big "E" New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey tooncat , I see you are from tega cay.Those aren't wylie brim you holding up in your avatar are they.They sure look nice.Shellcrackers or bluegills ??

11. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I wish they were Wylie bream...but they are Santee shellcracker....'bout 2lbs each. I'm hoping to catch more this weekend.

12. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    The Oct., date didn't work out so we'll be down on Sept., 29th and stay till Sun, the 2nd.We'll fish all night Thursday and come in to Harry's Friday morning and get some grub and some sleep.It's my little nephews fish trip to the Lakes so I hope we can have a little fun.Need just enough bites to keep him pumped up.Look for a white surburan with a catfish decal on the side ,with a white and green 409 Javelin behind it.See ya' ll later :D Maybe we can eat breakfast one morning :D

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    ToonCat, I don't know yet if I can make it up there this weekend, but if I can, I will. What part of the lower lake will you be fishing? I'll watch for you.
    I will be in a 17' Key West w/90 yamaha. Drive a black Ford F150 4X4.
    Mudhole Kid, I'll make a note and maybe we can do breakfast at Harry's that weekend of the 29th.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I couln't make it up to the lakes due to health issues, a little under the weather. Actually left here Sun. morning to go, but turned back before I got there. Hopefull, next time.
    Anyway, how did your trip go? I hope you had good luck, and will have a good report for us.

15. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Trip went fair. we caught a few with the biggest being 20lbs drifting the flats area just north of marker 24 in 16ft of water. Day time worked better than nights. No wind Friday night and bugs were almost unbearable. Saturday night the wind picked up a bit keeping the bugs away and the big old full moon lit up the canal....unfortunatly, fish did'nt cooperate. Couldn't find any shellcrackers at end of canal where I have in the past....might be couple weeks too early for them. Overall not a bad trip, done better, and sure as heck done worse. I think the fish are starting to transistion from deeper to shallow. If you want to be successful over the next several weeks, prepare to look both places to find them.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, ToonCat. Sorry it didn't go any better. It sounds like the last time I was up that way on a full moon last month. They didn't do so well at night then, either. I personally had better luck during the day. I'll keep that in mind when I go again.

17. TrophyCat

TrophyCat New Member

State:
    Berea,Ky
    Hello Folks,

Just joined on and thought I would say Hello.

I've been fishing Santee for about 16 years , Spring and Fall trips and a few summer vacations. I fish out of Hill's and have a place in Cross. I'm coming down the 18th of Oct. for 4 days of catfishing with two guys that have never done this style of fishing, I'll have my hands full. I have a 21' Trophy Walkaround hence the screen name. Fish lower lake primarily but have been known to venture to the upper lake if the bite is slow.

Nice site here to keep up with the goings on at the lake since I live in KY, this will keep me in touch. If you see me on the lake in a few weeks give me a shout,,,VHF Ch. 16.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome to the BOC, Trophycat! I feel sure you'll enjoy the site. There's a lot of good people here and loads of information. If you're new here, this site is also new, updated from the old one, and still in the process of transfering some of the old library files and such over here. There was tons of great information on the old site, and hopefully most of it will end up here.
    Good Luck in October!

19. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Welcome to the BOC TrophyCat! I think things are shaping up to be a good Fall at Santee. Let us know how you do.

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tooncat, I know what you mean about those bugs. We were up there a couple of weeks ago in similar conditions and they were terrible, even with every light turned off, except the anchor light. We were over a mile from any land; finally gave it up and went home. I bought a 150 watt ac/dc inverter and a couple of yellow bug lights that I want to try next time. I will mount the bug light on a pole and get it above us. I also got a couple of red LED lights that I will mount inside the boat and see how they do. I think they will give enough light to see the rod tips (I have reflective tape on the rods, and the red light from my headlamps light them up better than the white does).
    I forgot to ask earlier, but what baits did you use with success, if you don't mind me asking?