Santee Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by p_strouth, Dec 4, 2005.

1. p_strouth

p_strouth New Member

State:
    Louisville Tn
    I am planning of fishing Santee in Febuary, and i am not familiar with that teritory. If any one could help me out with lake areas, bait preference, or tackle i would appreciate it. I have also heard that Santee if famous for its blue cats, but wat bout flat head population?? Thanks for your help.
    Paul

2. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    In feb. the fish could be spawning in shallow water but it depends on the weather defiently will be by march. if thecats are spawning try stump hole landing and just fish shallow near cypress trees. if the cats arent spawning i like to fish the cooper river rite where it starts down from the 601 bridge . just call the landings and ask if the fish are shallow yet.

3. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    My understanding is that they catch more flats on the upper lake. I might be wrong, but that's what i see anyway. I know of a guy or two who fish for them almost exclusively out of harry's on Marion. They're the ones who told me that you are more likely to get into a sizeable flat on the upper lake..

4. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I agree the upper lake is better because u can anchor over fish easier. I also fish out of harrys for flat heads late april and may are good time for day time flatting i fish in main channel and side creeks u can find them with a map :)

5. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Do you know what lake you will be fishing, or were you will be staying?

6. keith113

keith113 New Member

I fish the upper lake out of Low Falls Landing all year. I set lines and rod fish in the trees with good luck all the time also. The conversion of the three rivers is always hot as well as the Diversion Canal( between the upper and lower lakes) when you can catch the power plant pulling water. Also the area known as the Blowout ( where the Santee River meets the upper Lake) specifically Marker 174 is suppose to be good. for bait I use Shrimp, cut herring, cut bream, and an mixture of Ivory soap and some other stuff for trot lines

7. p_strouth

p_strouth New Member

State:
    Louisville Tn
    thanks 4 all of the advise , I'm not sure where I'll b fishing thought about getting a guide for first trip(Joe Drose he fishes from Harry's)

8. p_strouth

p_strouth New Member

State:
    Louisville Tn
    Almost forgot where can I get a good map of the lakes???????????

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Paul, Joe is a good guide, judging from all I've ever heard. All the tackle shops and landings around the lake carry maps (Fishing Hot Spots is a good one). It's possible that some in your area may have them, too, or can order for you. They are common maps around the country. Just be sure to ask for one that covers Lakes Marion & Moultrie. I'm pretty sure they can be ordered from places like cabela's and basspro, too. If you can't find one, let me know, and I'll mail you one. I know I've got an extra one around here someplace.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    You can get maps from some of the stores in Santee or at Wal-Mart all over South Carolina.

11. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Paul i went with joe a few years ago and we caught alot of fish i . I would recomend Steve shipley he's good at catching those early season cats . Joe's brother Don is also a good guide . :D

12. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Hotspots has a website you can order them online.

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Let us know how you do. I always wanted to fish that lake.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Clarence, I also would like to fish that lake, that lake is on my list to fish when I can.

15. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Thanks for all the info everyone has posted. I think I will make it down there in February as well.