Santee Drifting - Is there a trick to putting out the drift socks?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JDWILLIS39, Dec 9, 2008.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Is there a trick to putting out the drift socks. I have couple 10 ft ones from Easterlin and sometimes they deploy just fine and then sometime it takes a while. I was just wondering if some of you'll have way to do it that works most of the time. Thanks for the info.:smile2:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, I always try to make sure the sock isn't twisted or anything like that, and that the weight goes in first, making sure the float is on top of the water. Sometimes it helps to tighten up by using the engine to pull and inflate the sock, much like wind in a parachute. Hope this will help you a little.

3. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had the same problem when I first started. My trick is to hang it on my push pole, then lay it flat on the water and push the bottom part of the sox down while I pull it toward me a little bit, then it will usually catch. You should shoot me a PM, maybe we can get out sometime, I'm in Hope Mills also, could be right around the corner!

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There is no "easy" way, but I make sure the weight is on the bottom and drop it in first. Then let the sides in until the float is on the top.

Of course trying to make sure the cords are untangled helps, but to a certain extent they will untangle themselves.

Dropping it off the side will help to inflate it, bacause dropping it behind the boat will sometimes suck it back up asgainst the boat,

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Most of the time I just throw mine over and if it tangles i go back up front and drink a beer..........go back and check it again and it usually has straightend up and decided to act right.

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the input. I guess I am kind of doing like most of you. Foxhound :wink:I don't drink beer but I have used that method several times some days it is best method. Sometimes I can get mine to pop right out next time it is a battle. I have found IF you get the weight in first AND nothing tangles most of time it works well. It helps for someone to tell me that I am doing halfway right. Thanks guys. See you on water.:big_smile:

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There is only one fool proof method and I developed it.I never have any problem with my drift socks because I simply turn to my son and say "Deploy the drift socks".Then I start baiting rods and by the time I'm ready so are the socks!!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:In fact our routine is so we practiced that as soon as I turn the boat into the wind and shut off the engine,he is busy with the socks and I am rigging rods without a word being said.I think that sometimes HE has some problems with the socks because I hear some awful language being used but I just keep on with my work.In case you dont have a well trianed son mine are available for a slight fee!!!!!:roll_eyes::smile2::big_smile::wink:

8. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    :smile2:Jim great method and have used it but my son keeps saying if he does it all time he has be paid. Something about he has to have job to pay his bills.:wink: So only works on weekends occasionally. :tounge_out:Thanks for great laugh:smile2:

9. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    If you are having trouble putting drift socks out try this. I use socks everyday. If you will throw the drift over the side of your boat holding into the back of the drift sock (the end that the water comes out of on the small end) Find the weighted side and grab the weight. Shack the sock until it hangs straight. Throw the weight out away from the boat so that the float does not get tangled and the weighted side can sink down untangled. Capt. Darryl Smith

10. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    If you are having trouble putting drift socks out try this. I use socks everyday. If you will throw the drift over the side of your boat holding into the back of the drift sock (the end that the water comes out of on the small end) Find the weighted side and grab the weight. Shack the sock until it hangs straight. Throw the weight out away from the boat so that the float does not get tangled and the weighted side can sink down untangled. Capt. Darryl Smith
    [​IMG]

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,

Jim I got me two of them there "boys" you was mentionin, can't neither of them even put on their own socks much less toss one out! :smile2::smile2: I gots me anotha comin soon, maybe thatun can do the job? Might take some time too, they is kinda young! I will keep trying to make them fishers for sure!!:wink:

12. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Now that sounds like the way I would do it! (LOL):smile2:

13. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Now Capt Darryl idea worked well:smile2: and Jim's idea about sons :wink:worked real good last weekend when had two them along. But found one thing that will not work and that is a wife Took my wife out today and she just laughs when I mention put out the socks. She says I'll drive while you do it.:confused2: Oh well not everything works. Thanks for info and the smiles guys.