Santee Drift rig

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by j.bridges, Jan 9, 2010.

1. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Hey Guys...I have heard a lot about the Santee rig but have never seen one...just wondering if any of you guys might have a pic of one?

2. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC

3. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
  4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I like the floats added most time to your leader.I usually have a couple of poles rigged without them .I have finaly found some corks that work well and they are slitted to allow you to take them on or off without cutting your line.They are made by Leland's Lures and are called E-Z Crappie float.They have them in several lengths.I use the 2 to 2 1/2 most time.

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    wylie cat has a how to video to make the santee drift rigs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20ZXQmA4fWk
    I will shoot you a pm.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The picture, and my video, is a good basic Santee rig.

Lots of things can be changed. Here are some things you can do to "tweak" your rig for where you fish.

1) Leader length. Anywhere from 18" to 4 feet can be used!
    2) Hook size. Different size hooks for the different size fish in the area you fish!
    3) Different size corks. Corks range from 1"-3", and they affect how you bait is presented!
    4) Cork color. Some anglers believe that different colors work in different levels of water clarity!
    5) Weight size. Some anglers use more weight in deep water, and some prefer longer weights!
    6) Attaching weights. Some attach the weight to a snap swivel, and some thread the main line through the weight!

The best thing to do is experiment. There is not a right or wrong way. Find out what works for you! I actually use modified "drift rigs" when anchored and have caught some 30-50 pound catfish on them!

7. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Thanks for all the help guys...I do a lot of drifting in the summer time down here in Alabama...I usually do more of a spider rig drifting straight down moving slow...Looking at trying the Santee rig when the wind is really kicking....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think after using the santee rig you will find out which ways work best for you dont give up after one try
    it took me a little while to get used to drifting this way we also had drifted straight down under the boat

9. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    The Santee rig works very good for drift fishing shallow water, it will allow you to get your bait further away from the boat. I believe that when you drift fish shallow water some fish maybe spooked by the shadow of your boat above them. Getting your baits further away from your boat in shallow water will allow those fish to regroup. It works well in deep water also , you just need to have a reel that will hold a lot of line. I have found that if you make your weights longer you dont snag so much stuff on the bottom, I use a peace of pairashoot cord filled with number 4 buck shoot(lead not steel). They average about 6in long and weigh around a ounce and a half. Give it a try, I think you'll like it!